Author Topic: This webforum under attack  (Read 11316 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
This webforum under attack
« on: October 04, 2006, 09:20:51 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

If some of you have been online regularly you might have noticed this webforum has been sought out lately for various ways of spamming. Not the off-topic link to the forist's own site or info related to the subject of this forum, no clearly identifiable malicious ordinary spam. First we had a spammer for internet gambling, now for a certain medication. As we notify the moderators, they take the messages out, but it is annoying, and we are in need of a bouncer to keep this out. If avast can keep malware at bay, it should also rid its own webforum of spam. There must be some sort of filter.
Anyway anyone that sees this happining on the avast webforum, immediately report this.

polonus
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 09:23:05 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

kubecj

Re: This webforum under attack
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 09:30:35 PM »
Heh, I don't think I've ever seen antispam for forums (I watch only SMF closely, though).

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 09:39:47 PM »
Hej kubecj,

Anyway the phenomenon has arrived, and there could be a filter for  the links the spammers put up for the clicking, they must appear on various blacklists. As we educate our users not to give live links to malware. The moment we the serious members of this avast family see spam we should report these incidents right away to the moderators. And a compliment to you, it was taken out very quickly.

polonus

kubecj

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:52:18 PM »
Right now I don't know of any better solution than to click 'report to moderator'...

justin1278

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:57:47 PM »
The Comodo forums are experiencing a lot of spammers as well, I am banning at least 1 person a week there because of spam :o. I think that the spammers are targeting popular forums, and since avast! and Comodo fit that, then that would explain some of the spamming.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 10:25:19 PM »
Hi kubecj and justin1279,

There is forum software that has this feature: http://www.jovo.be/forum/index.php?action=manual
There is a short interval before posting in a thread to do this spam scanning.

polonus

justin1278

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 10:27:31 PM »
Hi,

Comodo has already taken care of this, they have set a limit that users can make 1 post every 90 seconds since Comodo is constantly targeted by spam, this gives myself and the other mods/admins to delete the post and ban the user.

kubecj

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 10:35:03 PM »
There is forum software that has this feature: http://www.jovo.be/forum/index.php?action=manual
There is a short interval before posting in a thread to do this spam scanning.

Seems that's just limit of posts in a timeframe. Since the 'attacks' here are isolated, ie. dork registers, posts a message or two and then disappears, it wouldn't work here.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 12:01:24 AM »
Besides that, some of us spend a lot of time monitoring this forum and hit that little button as soon as one of
those "magical" posts appears.....
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

neal62

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 12:02:00 AM »
Well, one way is to ignore a spammers post. I know that I have asked several spammers that have posted to stop and why. It doesn't do any good for me to say anything to the spammer. I will in the future just ignore any spam post and go about doing something else.  :)

justin1278

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 12:09:01 AM »
Well, one way is to ignore a spammers post. I know that I have asked several spammers that have posted to stop and why. It doesn't do any good for me to say anything to the spammer. I will in the future just ignore any spam post and go about doing something else.  :)

This may be because some if not most of the spammers are usually bots.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 08:10:50 AM »
Hi justin1278,

Yes and because these spambots do not play by the rules, as do some other searchbots for instance the normal webbased methods to make them "no foillow" do not stop them. Anyways in the recent cases you think the registration on the forums also was done automattically. Like to see a bot sign up for a forum account, if "they" come away with that it gives rise to a lot of misuse. How do you copy?

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 02:31:47 PM »
Well the recent spate of Spam has been placed by registered users, if they are creating the account manually in which case there is less we can do to combat this.

If it is a spam bot that can also automatically register, then surely the forum registration can do the same as the avast registration, have a registration image with numbers/letters that have to be interpreted and or, send an email to the registered email address. This email address is likely to be a fake so they don't get an email to complete the registration by pasting the registration into the relevant section or clicking on a link to activate their forum registration.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 06:42:20 AM »

I think David has the right idea about this.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 08:25:11 AM »
Well CharleyO,

I have a different vieuw on these cases of "spim". I think they were manually put there. Normal folks and webforum users cannot imagine what a bunch of negative oriented people are our out there, that finds joy in putting spam out just to irritate, troll postings just to spoil the pleasure of others, doings things for reasons of jealousy or plain simple because they cammot stand a nice atmosphere. There are political postings, there are trolls because someone said negative things about a program they perceive rightly or falsely, a lot of people cannot handle their emotions rightly anymore, and we have a lot of that going around even on the Internet lately.
The full right and actually the job and obligation  of the moderators or administration of the webforum site is to take these messages or whole threads out at once to sanitize the forum. This should be done anonimously, without explanation, "spim", "trolling", non-related material, do not fit in. Of course there must be room for wishing well, a joke, some humour, or signs of appreciation or critique, that is natural to the process of communication, but otherwise everything should be clear,

polonus
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 03:09:30 PM by polonus »