Author Topic: Incompatible SMS tool - Enterprise Management Client  (Read 11896 times)

carsonm

Incompatible SMS tool - Enterprise Management Client
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:13:28 PM »
Trying to set up avast! anti-theft on my wife's Evo 4G (android 2.3.5, not rooted) and get the following message:  Incompatible SMS Tool found.  It lists the sms tool as "Enterprise Management Tool" in red.  I've looked around and seen other's have issues with Gosms, etc, but I can't find anything about Enterprise Management Tool on this forum or on the web.  When I try to uninstall it, it is not successful.  I'm not sure who the developer is.

I've sent a lock command to the phone using the correct password, i.e 1212 LOCK.  The command text doesn't show up on the phone and no indications of any text show up (which I believe is correct), but it also doesn't lock the phone.  I send a standard text message and it shows up promptly.

I have the same problem on my identical phone.

Any advise?

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Incompatible SMS tool - Enterprise Management Client
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »
Hello,

as our software already states - please uninstall the inappropiate SMS tool in order to keep anti-theft working.
We would also appreciate you contacting the developer of Enterprise Management Tool to change his SMS reception priority.

Werner

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:38:33 AM »
Hi,

it's weird that it doesn't show up, but it doesn't work either. Can you tell me the package name of the tool? If it's an app, you should be able to see it in App Management in AMS.

Filip

carsonm

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:27:56 AM »
I found Enterprise Management Client in the App Manager.  There is no option to uninstall it, just the option to Disable it.  When I try to disable it I get the following warning  "Disable built-in app?  If you disable a built-in app, other apps may misbehave."

it's listed as Version 1.3.0.73.  I've googled it and I can't find any info at all.

FYI  it's permissions include Location, Messages, create Bluetooth connections/full Internet access, Modify/delete SD card, take pictures and videos, etc.....  Although it appears to be a built in app, I sure don't care for it's permissions.

Offline scidmail

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 04:08:27 AM »
I have the same issue.  It shows up only in All Apps and it cannot be uninstalled.  I have an HTC EVO 4G

reinhardholzner

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:42:21 PM »
if your SMS commands work as expected, you can ignore the warning. if not - you know the cause :-)

irma gott

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 11:36:27 PM »
I still wouldn't be sure how to get enterprise management and Avast to play together, but I was able to find out what enterprise management was...

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/tracking-server/10.1/index.html#/What_is_Esri_Tracking_Server/00r60000000r000000/

It was bundled in the last software update from Sprint, allegedly to help you better manage data connections.  I'm currently trying to figure out what I can do to effectively and safely disable it, if for no other reason than that it just seems to be accruing tracking data and slowing down the OS.

I hope this helps somewhat.

irma gott

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 11:46:15 PM »
Ok. This is what worked for me on the Evo 4G.

1) Uninstall Avast.
2) Reboot your phone.
3) Find "Enterprise Management Client" in the running processes, under the "All" tab. Clear the data, and disable.
4) Find "Sprint Connections Optimizer" in the running processes, under the "All" tab. Clear the data, and disable.
5) Reboot your phone.
6) Reinstall Avast.

Note Bene: You won't be able to take advantage of Avast's Firewall if you haven't rooted your phone. Also, with "Enterprise Management Client" and "Sprint Connections Optimizer" disabled, you won't be able to rely on the Sprint network auto-toggling your WiFi, 3G & 4G antennae and will have to do it manually.