Author Topic: Internet Security Suite - Firewall issue  (Read 7262 times)

wolfmandim

Internet Security Suite - Firewall issue
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »
I use Windows 7 x64. I keep getting the icon on the status bar informing me that my system is not fully protected. When I open the suite I notice that my firewall is turned off. When I try to turn it on a message pops up telling me that it is unable to start the firewall. What should I do to turn it on?
Note that turning the Windows firewall on and off makes no difference.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Internet Security Suite - Firewall issue
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
Have you tried avast repair and reboot?

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Is this a new computer?
Did it come with antivirus installed?
Have you removed it?

wolfmandim

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:27:48 AM »

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Is this a new computer?
Have you removed it?
I will try the repair of Avast and provide the results. This is not a new computer, I was using Windows firewall and Avast pro prior to the purchase and installation of the Avast Security Suite. By the way, does it make any difference if Windows firewall is on?

beaker1024

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 02:26:44 AM »
After about 3 weeks with the Avast 5 IS trail installed and thinking about purchasing a years license I start getting (on boot) a device driver error it says:

avast! Firewall NDIS Filter MiniPort #212 X Failed
Device driver software was not successfully installed.

I have tried doing a "repair" under add/remove programs and it doesn't help.

It comes up on every reboot.

System = Win 7, 64bit, 8 GB Ram

I'm really wondering how buggy this version 5 is.  I wanted so badly to have my antivirus choice to be easy as I've used the free avast 4.x for 4-5 years now.  Thought I'd upgrade to the paid suites on 3 machine and hope they release a new WHS edition too!

edit: I forgot to mention that I also noticed that Avast 5's email/spamfilter antivirus plugin realtime scanner doesnt' do anything.  It's log has 0 scanned emails in 3 weeks on 2 machines.  This is with MS Outlook 2007 and pulling from 2 Pop3 email accounts (yes they require SSL so I  understand Avast can't look at the email as it's downloaded btu can't it scan once it's local?)!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:35:24 AM by beaker1024 »

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
Sometimes it does cause problems when Windows firewall is on and you are also using another. I have my windows firewall off. Windows firewall has a habit of enabling itself so double check it. I ran into that a lot trying to network XP. Vista and Windows 7 it's not as common.
Joe

wolfmandim

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »

Is this a new computer?
Have you removed it?

Well, I did run repair and rebooted. So far, everything seems to work fine, firewall included. If it might help, note that I had Malwarebytes anti-Malware full version installed and I removed it.
I will have to wait for a while to make sure everything KEEPS working fine!! ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:31:08 PM by wolfmandim »

beaker1024

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 03:23:35 AM »
Well now I don't know how things just got worse.

I uninstalled Avast 5 IS from add/remove programs then rebooted in safe mode... used AvastClean remover for v5 (all this seemed to go well)

rebooted into normal Win7 64bit mode now with no Avast anywhere and BAM still got the Avast Miniport Driver device install error.  So I had a moment of clearity and went into "Device Manager" and saw the Network adapter device "Avast MiniPort xxx blah blah" with the error icon on it.   You can guess what I did next...

I right clicked and had it "uninstall" device/driver (along with delete driver) hoping that this means I'll have my system back to Pre-Avast 5 install and I could do a fresh Avast 5 IS install and have everything working (like it is on my other PC that's same specs).  

Well Avast 5 IS installs again and knows I have only 3 days left on trial mode (I'm going to buy but really want this to be working right on my PC) as I would expect.  

Here's the punch line now:  Avast 5 Firewall is DEAD... Gone.... No amount of clicking the "FIX" button on the status page does anything.  I can click the "ON" buttons for firewall to I'm blue in the face... it's over with.

So I went back to Add/remove and tried the good old "repair" option and reboot.  Still nothing.  I'm not getting that "avast Miniport device/driver" anymore in device manager (I thought it'd be recreated as a virtual device/hardware on my clean reinstall).  I just want it all installed and working and no half working devices (that drives me nuts).

Anyone have any suggestions.  For now I can use Avast 5 w/out Firewall and use Win7 firewall in the short term.  

Should I start a "trouble ticket" or another new thread?  Any ideas.  Since it's all Firewall issues I thought it'd fit in this thread's header/title.

Thanks for your time.

PS - for good measure I even tried the regular unistall --> safemode avast5cleaner/remover then a fresh full install again for good measure and I'm still at the no joy with Firewall situation.  I've killed my Avast fake device driver firewall miniport and it wont come back.  (I don't get how it's being there but NOT installed correctly still let the firewall work before though?)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:27:34 AM by beaker1024 »

beaker1024

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 03:34:44 AM »
Ok I just checked my other PC Win7 64 Bit.  Installed and immediately installed Avast 5 IS trial about 2-3 weeks ago.

This PC has been perfectly fine without any Avast issues.... I just checked.  It's firewall is working 100% fine.

I checked the Device Manager -> Network Adapaters section.  No Avast anything devices/drivers!  Just one Realtek NIC driver/device.

Huh?

Why/how did my one computer get this Avast 5! MiniPort device/driver (and why did it never install correctly).

Why can't I get a fresh install Avast 5 IS to have it's firewall again? (When I have removed said Avast 5! miniport #xxx blah blah device).

I feel like I have a mystery and I  hope the answer isn't a malware/spyware/virus.

BTW Once I did get this strange extra driver I did scan with SAS and MalwareBytes... my system seems to be clean (with Avast covering Viruses).