Author Topic: problems with my new avast internet security 7  (Read 51579 times)

bambibear

Re: problems with my new avast internet security 7
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2012, 03:33:10 AM »
hi mchain.  i looked into the ubuntu.  this is a 64 bit windows 7.

i feel dumb.  if i go to download, won't it save it ?  also, do i insert a cd first, then get the ubuntu ?

i understand the part of "try ubuntu without installing", but do i just run the piogram ?

sorry for sounding dumb, but i would like to know so i do it right.  thanks mchain. ;D

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2012, 07:44:52 AM »
Hi bambibear,

This ubuntu is optional, and does not have to be done.  It is merely another good tool to have to prepare for the worst, should it ever happen again.

1.) Yes, when you download Ubuntu it will be saved on your hard drive, most likely in your Downloads folder.

Using the links provided, you will be downloading an .iso file.  Either 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu should work for you.

An .iso file is similar to, but different than, all files on your computer.  It is a compressed file, and must be opened (expanded) to utilize the many files within it.  Ubuntu is downloaded as .iso because, when it is expanded onto a hard drive, it will take up more than 2 GB (Gigabytes) of space.  Obviously, compressing the many files that comprise Ubuntu will save time downloading, and also allows the core of the operating system to be placed on a CD-ROM (700 MB).

Latest version of Ubuntu download comes to 701 MB, .iso.

So, merely copying the .iso file to a cd will not work.  You must use a program such as Roxio or Nero, or Imageburn to open the .iso file and then burn it to a cd.

2.) So, it is at this point, you would put the cd in the cd drive.  You then point your Roxio, Nero, or Imgburn program at the .iso file, (double-click? the file) and then the burning process will start.

It is when you burn the .iso file is when you open it and make it bootable.  If done properly, (to check for proper burning) when you open the cd to view the contents inside, you will see several folders.  If no folders are present, then you have not burned the .iso file, but only copied it to the cd.

Imgburn is a free image burning program, essexboy and jeffce have had users use this program from time to time to burn programs needed to clean infected systems.  Personally, I use a vendor paid program, as I find the need to run Nero to burn .iso files more frequently than not.

If only using a burning program infrequently, then Imgburn will suffice.  http://www.imgburn.com/  Use the latest version, ImgBurn v2.5.7.0, and this should work for you.

You can always uninstall Imgburn when done and get another copy if you need it later.

To clarify, Ubuntu is a different and separate operating system from Windows 7.  Windows 7 cannot see Ubuntu, but Ubuntu can see Windows 7, and that difference is useful when 7 will not start.  You will be able to perform the same copy/paste functions within Ubuntu as you can in 7, and thus save any files you wish to keep should 7 ever fail to start. 

As long as you never install Ubuntu on your hard drive, run only as 'Live CD' (Try Ubuntu without installing) you will be fine.

What running Ubuntu as a Live CD means is, the entire operating system is running in system memory only (Ubuntu, that is), no part of Ubuntu is ever installed onto your hard drive (unless you tell it to).  Running in memory means that Ubuntu will disappear completely (poof!) when you restart your system after you are done with your session in Ubuntu Live CD, and Windows 7 will never know.  Windows 7 will not be affected as long as you do not install Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is just a very useful tool when disaster strikes, is all.

Follow the above steps, and all should work out.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

bambibear

« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2012, 03:11:35 AM »
oh, wow.  ok, i think i got it.
 i have cyberlink, which i know burns cd's & dvd's.  i'll check & see if it's compatable with the .iso.  cyberlink says i can butn an .iso file withmy power2go.  do you think this will work ?

wow, you really give alot of great information.  thank you so much.  :) i had no idea what an .iso file was.  near.

gonna be busy tomorrow & thursday, but i'll be back friday.

thank you mchain for all the great information. ;D

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »
@ bambibear,

Sorry for the mistake, but Windows 7 already has the ability to burn an .iso file.

No need to get third-party software to get this done.  If all you need to do is burn an .iso file, then Windows 7 should suffice. 

Here is a review of CyberLink Power2Go Essential (free) here:  http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/25633-power2go_8_essentia

If this software is not listed on http://www.filehippo.com/, then I do not use it.  What that means is, file hippo only puts software on their site they trust and is known good and safe. 

For example, I do not use C|net Downloads because sometimes their installer comes with unwanted junk such as rogue toolbars; file hippo does not.  C|net editorial staff has not reviewed this software either, and has the vendor review in place instead.  Not a good sign.

Here:  http://download.cnet.com/CyberLink-Power2Go-Essential/3000-2646_4-84589.html

Google here is your best friend when considering downloading and installing new software, research, research, research.  Anytime new software is installed, your system will change irrevocably, and sometimes not for the better. 

I also try to avoid registering free software where I can (except, of course, avast!) and this page calls for registration, so no.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=CyberLink%20Power2Go%208%20Essential%20&cp=38&gs_id=9e&xhr=t&q=CyberLink%20Power2Go%208%20Essential%20Reviews&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=CyberLink+Power2Go+8+Essential+Reviews&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=67057f9a511676f0&biw=1280&bih=861

This strategy will save you from grief in the future; research what you need and make the best choice available.   :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:10:56 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

bambibear

« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2012, 05:42:51 PM »
hi mchain.  good morning all. 

thank you for the info.  i'll look into it tomottow as my aunt in wisconsin is in I.C.U. with a brain tumor.  will get back here when i can.

thank you so much.  you all are so smart & knowledgable, makes me feel proud you all helped me so much.  thank you again ;D :)

drahcir

« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2012, 03:49:18 AM »
I think you need to use Chrome for Avast! to scan browser based email systems.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2012, 03:54:00 AM »
I think you need to use Chrome for Avast! to scan browser based email systems.
No. WebShield scans http traffic of all browsers. Encrypted traffic is not scanned by any antivirus for logical reasons.
The best things in life are free.

bambibear

« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2012, 04:14:17 AM »
hi drahcir & tech.  i don't like chrome, it made my windows crash too many times.  chrome is at the bottom of my list for browsers.  i am thinking about getting firefox, but not immediately.  i like google, i have several accounts with google, i just don't like chrome.

thank you tech for answering for me.  it's very much appreciated. ;D

my aunt is out of I.C.U.  tumor is still in the brain.  lots of prayers here. :'( 

thanks all who have assisted me in my situations here.  :)   i send hugs to everyone of you.  you all are the best at what you do & assisting me.  thank you everyone again. ;D

bambibear

« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2012, 03:19:17 AM »
hi everyone.  my aunt has moved to her own room, gets to go home nexr week.  chemo starts tomorrow, tuesday jine 25th.  just wanted to ypdate you all.

computer has had no problems, except avast says it can't scan all files since it can't find something. 

happens in both the quick scan (C:\User\all users) & the full scan (c:\users\bambeyette\...\fbp.tmp). 

however, the dates it shows this for is:  6-5, 6-6, 6-9, & 6-23.

all other times & days, no viruses were found.  any ideas what it can't scan ?

malwarebytes has found nothing to date.

question, do i need a spyware protector with my avast internet security ?

thanks for waiting for an answer. ;D

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »
Hi bambibear,
  • As long as the scans you run are left at default settings (for example, do not enable PUP [Possibly Uwanted Programs]) anything you find that Avast! produces an error in scanning, usually has to do with archived files (zip or packed files compressed by an unknown packer).  A file reported by Avast! as a compression bomb or unknown packer is an example of this.
  • Archived files are just that, inert and inactive, until you open and/or run them.  They cannot harm your system.
  • No need to run frequent scans as the protective shields in Avast! will do the job for you.  I scan only once a week, and then only at night, leaving the computer on whilst I sleep.  Full scan is run only when quick scan is positive for malware.  You can schedule this scan within Avast!.
  • Sometimes the newest virus definition update will report a file as malicious when a scan is run, when, in fact, it is not.  Best choice here is to always quarantine the file.  Reason for that is so, if the file is later found to be clean, you can restore it to it's original location.  This is known as a false-postive detection.  Though rare, it does happen.
  • Option to delete a file Avast! says is malicious will mean that file is gone forever.  If it turns out you needed that file to run your computer or program later, you will have no options left, and re-installing or repairing the operating system or program will be the only way to fix that.
Always quarantine, never delete. 

A malicious file is safe in the quarantine folder, cannot harm your system while in there, and can be safely deleted from there after waiting at least two weeks.  If, after two weeks, it is still malicious, then and only then should you delete it.  You can check this file to see if it is clean or not by scanning the file within the quarantine folder at any time and take the appropriate action you think best. 

Remember, you can always leave the file in quarantine indefinitely, no harm can be done by leaving it there.

Mawarebytes works well with Avast! when in active protection mode.  You can only get that protection by purchasing the paid version, but purchasing is only a one-time lifetime licence deal.  Spybot is not so good IMO.

Update the definitions for Malwarebytes and run a scan once a week should be good enough.  Updates for Malwarebytes occur several times a day, seven days a week, and is automatically updated with the paid full version.

Hope your aunt gets better.

Take care.   :)

bambibear

« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2012, 03:32:57 AM »
hi mchain.  sorry for all the typos earlier.

ok, i had the scan for pup checked, fixed now.

i thought i had to run a daily scan.  boy, what a relief i don't.

i also fixed the "delete if something found" options.  changed them to "ask", since the "move to virus chest" was the first option.

i have the protection mode enabled in malwarebytes.  i paid for the pro version when you all were fixing the problems, i think on page 7.  anyway, yes, i have the paid version of malwarebytes.  it does update alot, which is really good.  then i know it's working.

thank you for being so smart.  i didn't know that an archived file couldn't hurt my system though.

thank you also for answering me.

so far, the chemo & radiation are running her down :(, but i hope they're doing the job taking care of the cancer :).

thank you again, mchain :D