Author Topic: Disabling avast services  (Read 3806 times)

brstma

Disabling avast services
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:48:43 PM »
I use Avast free (4.8 )  I use my PC for music production so I disable the Avast providers using "stop on access protection" from the taskbar icon menu.  The only thing is it leaves some services running, using resources I would like to free up when I'm not online. I only enable Avast when I go online.

Is there a way to disable/ enable all services with one mouse click?  I used to use PCCillin, and it would disable every service when shut down from the taskbar icon. I'm hoping Avast can do the same.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03:50:45 PM by brstma »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Disabling avast services
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »
If the shields are disabled, the services take no resources.
Although it's possible, avast is not intended to run disabled (only on demand). Disabling the shields will do the job. It would be better if you exclude only the folders of your music production tool, leaving the antivirus running in background (even off line).
The best things in life are free.

brstma

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »
If the shields are disabled, the services take no resources.

Actually, ashServ.exe is consuming 25.7MB, ashDisp.exe 3.7MB and aswUpdSv.exe less than 1MB RAM, with On Access Protection off.  In total that's over 29MB of RAM I could possibly free up for files on a project.  Some projects consume close to 2GB in data and files so I need every MB of RAM I can get.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
Try to use the version 5. It's lighter on resources than 4.8.
But, I think it will be a matter of having/installing more RAM and not disabling the antivirus.

You can test other antivirus, but I really don't think you'll get it better. Also, do NOT forget that the RAM displayed on the task manager does not take into account the driver memory usage. AVG and Avira, for instance, loads kernel drivers (which take RAM) to perform the protection. This RAM is NOT shown in task manager.
The best things in life are free.

brstma

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 06:16:22 PM »
Thanks.