Author Topic: SandBox malfunction possibly virus  (Read 30364 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: SandBox malfunction possibly virus
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »
The host detection is not a problem..  But it found no malware at all

CAS159

« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
No Malware and my settings are not reversible.  My system won't turn off the monitor and the hard drives, I can't access my Windows CD, and each time I boot SFC box appears.  I'd be inclined to do a repair install of winxp but it won't read the WinCD even in CMOS recovery console.  Even if I could I'll lose the XPsp3 update.  I think I need that before I install the VM Player.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »
Windows XP does have a repair function http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/ and it can be run from the i386 folder

CAS159

« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2014, 02:02:24 AM »
I looked at the site but could not find it i386 repair install but found another site covering it.  However, I called the shop I go to get my computer fixed and they gave me a WinXPsp3 disk.  I then did a recovery but the horizontal bar graph did not appear in the recovery.  Before that I did a SFC command.  I was able to read my original WinXpsp2 disk from Safe Mode.  However all of the other problems remain. 
I think the best thing for me to do now is to clean up my system with a Repair-install via the WinXpSp3 disk, then get Win7, and start VM Player, as I talked it over with the shop.  I did the Repair install last summer and I recollect that it kept my programs intact.  However all updates will be lost so I have to get Win7 and load updates.  I still have a TB USB drive I have not re-installed yet since I moved which could be a security risk.  Do you have any suggestions?   

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2014, 05:42:06 PM »
Scan the drive with both an AV and Antimalware prior to accessing would be a good move

If you have the opportunity then go for Win7