Author Topic: Blue Pop Up Virus  (Read 2681 times)

kjdillon

Blue Pop Up Virus
« on: June 25, 2012, 03:26:25 AM »
My PC has been infected with a pop up virus that attaches itself to random words on Websites.  It turns a word bright blue and gives it a double-underline.  Clicking it or rolling over it brings up a small banner that includes local.com and other words connected to the Website article.  I seem to have acquired it from clicking on a word on the Website of Christ Church University in Canterbury, UK.  Neither an Avast full scan nor a Microsoft Quick Scan detected any virus on my PC.  Is this a known virus or is it new?  How do I find it on my PC?  How do I get rid of it? 

Berxerker

Re: Blue Pop Up Virus
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 05:03:28 AM »
Have you tried running a boot-time scan with Avast? As long as you select it to scan start-up programs from all users and all the drives, it will scan the whole PC before Windows is loaded. And on what mode did you run the scans? Safe mode or from your regular desktop?

Either way, if none of those solve it, you might want to use this as reference:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

It's a link to "Logs to Assist in Cleaning Malware" (I am poor with forum links :) )

Well, I hope your problem can be resolved. Cheers.

kjdillon

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »
Thanks for these suggestions, Berxerker.
I will try a boot-time scan and will run scan from safe mode, as you suggest.

kjdillon

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
It turned out to be a Yontoo virus.  Once my computer guy removed Yontoo from my programs, the virus disappeared.  However, the advice to do a boot scan also paid off because it found another virus in the MHotspot software that I had downloaded to turn my PC into a hotspot for my Android device.  MHotspot only worked once anyway.
Thanks, Berxerker!