Author Topic: avast! 5.0 slowing down computer with 3 G.B. of R.A.M.! (PROBLEM FIXED.)  (Read 16864 times)

Nez Man

Since installing avast! 5.0, my system has been slowed down, as far as browsing with Windows Explorer is concerned. I have enabled all of the SCAN NOW options to "Speed up scanning by using the persistent cache", however, using Windows Explorer is still significantly slower than it was using avast! 4.8.

Surprisingly, playing games and using Mozilla Firefox 3.5 are not slowed down hardly at all. It's browsing Windows Explorer which is making the process "AvastSvc.exe" take up 80%+ of my C.P.U. (Windows Task Manager shows me this.), thus making Windows Explorer sometimes load painfully slow.

I am running an ASUS computer model, using Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, with 3 GigaBytes of R.A.M..

This is frustrating me because I know avast! 5.0 is really awesome, but these speed issues need to be addressed. From what I've seen on the avast! forum, I am not alone with avast! 5.0 performance issues.

Any help resolving this speed problem would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.  ;)

IMPORTANT NOTE - This issue is now fixed for me.  ;D

> Naean.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:19:25 AM by Naean »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: avast! 5.0 slowing down computer with 3 G.B. of R.A.M.!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:06:19 PM »
My sister is running it on ACER a well, but it has only 2G of RAM and it works perfectly fine.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Nez Man

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:15:15 PM »
My sister is running it on ACER a well, but it has only 2G of RAM and it works perfectly fine.

My bad.

I accidentally put "ACER", instead of "ASUS".   ::)   Easy to confuse the two, hehe.

Nez Man

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 09:14:24 PM »
BUMP!

Any help, please?   ???   :-\

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:17:25 PM »
I've seen a lot of problems with 5, and I know that they're working on a fix.

However, people that don't have problems usually installed avast on a clean system.

For instance, if you have version 4 previously installed, make sure that you remove it, and use the removal tool.

Installing Avast 5 in safe mode has been suggested as well, that way no other software or firewalls will interfere with the installation.

I'm not saying that it will fix your problem, but a good clean install couldn't hurt (if you haven't done so already).
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »
What version of avast 5 do you use? Free, Pro or AIS? Try to disable each shield one by one, please. We'll see if we can determine which shield is related to this behaviour.

Thank you for cooperation.

Nez Man

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »
Thanks for the responses!    :)

I'm happy to provide more details below.

@ mafist:

I am using avast! 5.0 Free Antivirus currently.

Sorry, but I don't feel like testing each and every shield one by one. At least, not right now.

All I know is that it is "AvastSvc.exe" causing the issue with immense C.P.U. usage. "AvastUI.exe" is taking little to no C.P.U. usage at all.

@ scythe944:

I first installed avast! 5.0 Pro over avast! 4.8 Professional Edition. (avast! 4.8 had an activated license, by the way.) The install of 5.0 went through without a single issue, so it seemed. (After installation I did not restart my computer, as I was not prompted to do so by avast!.) However, avast! 5.0 Pro itself, after installation, caused all sorts of problems. I had to use Revo Uninstaller's Advanced uninstall mode to remove both avast! 4.8 Professional Edition (Yep, avast! 5.0 Pro's install process did not remove any avast! 4.8 Professional Edition files.) and avast! 5.0 Pro, including their registry keys and left over files. Afterwards, I restarted the operating system. I'd also like to add here that transferring the existing 4.8 avast! license over to 5.0 was not as easy as insinuated on this page. The "Your current remaining license period will be maintained. Simply download and install the new version." text on that page is blatantly not true. Rather, a manual copy of the current 4.8 license was actually needed, which I simply could not get to copy over to, nor work, in 5.0.    :-\

After restarting, I double checked that the Program Files folder didn't contain any avast! files, and sure enough, all that was left was an empty Alwil Software folder. Being a more than satisfied avast! 4.8 user for at least 2 years, I decided not to leave Alwil Software as I was previously a very happy user. I thought: 'Okay, so the avast! 5.0 Pro upgrade did not go well at all, but perhaps the free version will work. Why not give it a go?' So, I proceeded to download it. It installed successfully without any problems. This time, I restarted my operating system. Everything was running smoothly, finally.

Until now, that is. I don't know why, but browsing Windows Explorer is very slow. Mozilla Firefox 3.5 is now also going into Not Responding mode three times more often than it ever used to. In addition to this, when I played Grand Theft Auto IV today, launching the game was painfully slower. All of these slow downs, lags, and performance issues were not present at all in avast! 4.8. Period.

As far as conflicts are concerned, I really don't think this is a potential cause. I use only Windows Firewall, which has avast! 5.0 Free Antivirus permitted to fully access the internet. Windows Defender is fully disabled also. There is no other security software on my system, other than Blue Coat K9 Web Protection, a website filtering application, which never conflicted with avast! 4.8. Ever.

avast! 5.0 Free Antivirus is not reporting any issues or problems in its interface.

If you require any more details/information, I'd be quite happy to assist.    ;)

Oh, and one more thing. Here's a screenshot of avast! 5.0 Free Antivirus taking up the majority of the C.P.U. when trying to browse my Documents folder.

Using avast! 5.0 Free Antivirus was the first time in a long time I've ever seen Windows Explorer's green loading bar show up on such a regular basis.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:35:28 PM by Naean »

jeffj4873

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:48:58 AM »
I don't think I have seen 5 do that but 4 on a bad download will jack CPU to 100% no matter what your using. You need to uninstall and reinstall. And the older guys like DavidR would tell you to clean after the uninstall with the cleaning tool. Then reload. Somehow you got  a bad download of 5.0

cazoza

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 06:25:31 AM »
have you tried downloading the pre-release 5.0.394? I think it will help you. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54491.0

Nez Man

Problem fixed!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 08:40:08 AM »
I tried avast! 5.0's Repair function via Control Panel, then restarted the computer. avast! 5.0 is now working with speed just like avast! 4.8.

The problem appears to be fixed now. All performance issues seem to have gone.    :D

Thanks for all the replies anyway!    ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:41:53 AM by Naean »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: avast! 5.0 slowing down computer with 3 G.B. of R.A.M.! [Resolved.]
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 06:02:12 PM »
Cool, glad the repair worked.  That's a lot easier than uninstall, run removal tool, install, test!

Hopefully some of the other problems that people are having will fixed by a repair or the new program update.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Nez Man

Problem has returned! avast! 5.0 is once again slowing down my computer.
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:32:31 PM »
I thought this had been fixed, but today it has started using too much of my C.P.U. again.

Looks like either:

A - the repair didn't work properly,

or

B - the repair worked, but the latest avast! 5 program update has badly intercepted the previous repair.

Just so you know, it's doing it exactly as before. AvastSvc.exe is the one taking up the C.P.U. and it's doing so in the same fashion as it was before I THOUGHT I fixed it vai avast!'s "Repair" function. Something's gone wrong again!  :(

For details on my computer's spec's and details on the avast! C.P.U. problem, please refer to my first posts in this thread.

Thanks once more, if you can help me with this!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:35:01 PM by Naean »

cazoza

Re: PROBLEM RETURNED - avast! 5.0 slowing down computer with 3 G.B. of R.A.M.!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 06:00:51 AM »
Do you have latest version 5.0.418? or wich one? because maybe latest version have those bugs fixed. Why dont u try a registry cleaner like: comodo system cleaner, or CCleaner? Maybe cleaning your system helps avast 5 performance issues. Maybe something is wrong with your windows.

olddog

Re: Problem has returned! avast! 5.0 is once again slowing down my computer.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 06:07:20 AM »
I thought this had been fixed, but today it has started using too much of my C.P.U. again.

Have you tried simply rebooting?

If that doesn't change the situation, what happens if you stop the Web shield?

galooma

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 08:34:05 AM »
Sorry, but I don't feel like testing each and every shield one by one. At least, not right now.
Did you realise that this was being asked by a member of the ALWIL TEAM .
It would take around 2 minutes to check and you dont feel like it???

there are probably many people out there having the same difficulties and all it requires is one who has the problem to "feel like it" to actually start the process .

why bother coming here to complain.