Author Topic: How do I uninstall Avast in Ubuntu 8.10?  (Read 10435 times)

duhh

How do I uninstall Avast in Ubuntu 8.10?
« on: February 25, 2009, 02:19:55 AM »
I download the avast4workstation_1.3.0-2_i386.deb and installed it in ubuntu 8.10 but i can't find it in ubuntu add/remove.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: How do I uninstall Avast in Ubuntu 8.10?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:19:47 PM »
I download the avast4workstation_1.3.0-2_i386.deb and installed it in ubuntu 8.10 but i can't find it in ubuntu add/remove.

Hallo, normally, using dpkg -r <packagename> . You migh add also -P to completely purge all the relevant stuff (including config files).

pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

duhh

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 06:50:26 PM »
I've use sudo apt-get autoremove avast4workstation or sudo apt-get autoremove --purge avast4workstation and this works.

what's the difference between sudo apt-get autoremove avast4workstation or sudo apt-get autoremove --purge avast4workstation and dpkg -r anway.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »
APT was originally designed as a front-end for dpkg to work with Debian's .deb packages, but it has since been modified to also work with the RPM Package Manager system via apt-rpm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool

dpkg itself is a low level tool; higher level tools, such as APT, are used to fetch packages from remote locations or deal with complex package relations. Tools like aptitude or synaptic are more commonly used than dpkg as they have a more sophisticated way of dealing with package relationships and a friendlier interface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dpkg

Not that I knew that until 5 minutes ago- I was just going to say avast! should be in Synaptic and you can uninstall it from there.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog