Author Topic: Avast 7 Windows 7 multiple issues  (Read 4387 times)

nihil

Avast 7 Windows 7 multiple issues
« on: May 11, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »
I downloaded the update on my Windows 7x64 computer on Wednesday. It's a machine I really only use to watch streaming video to my TV. It's a very standard build with no frills and the only 'extras' are really Divx and Xvid (so very clean running.)

The thing had been running perfectly fine before I downloaded the update. After I did it I noticed that everything was slow and something was maxing out my processor at startup and random other times but I couldn't tell which specific task or service it was. Also, Firefox was having problems bringing up webpages, things like Google which is my home page were taking five minutes on my 350mbps connection. It was late, and I was tired so I just gave up and went to bed.

The next day I noticed Avast's browser plug-in feature that rates websites and sends streaming information back to the Cloud. Then I realized that those were causing some sort of problem with my network connection and the program itself was bogging my machine WAY down.

I thought "Fine, I'm done with this because I don't like the improvements" in the new version" I thought there was an uninstaller....there isn't, not that I noticed. I had to use the Program Manager to uninstall and when I went to uninstall the thing midway through it froze the system up. I don't mean just the uninstaller itself froze, the WHOLE system. No taskmanager, no mouse.....frozen, frozen.

I did a hard restart and now Avast is there but not in Program Manager as an option to remove. It's not in the Start Menu either. There is a file in Program Files for an older version of avast 5 but that doesn't help me. So, basically I ccouldn't do a clean uninstall and I couldn't shut the thing off! I couldn't disable the services from the Avast program itself because when I tried nothing happened. It just continued to do it's thing bogging my computer down and slowing up my network connection.

I ended up having to go into the System Config and registry to stop the thing from running on Startup. I'm not a noob when it comes to computers. I've worked in the ITS world for over 15 years but this thing was a nightmare and a headache even for me!

Thankfully, after I finally did get the thing to STOP running, everything worked perfectly fine! Network connection good, no slow down, processor not peaking out.

Please, include an uninstaller package, a way to turn the thing OFF completely, and an option to disable it on Startup! This thing seems to be having major issues with Windows 7, especially the 64x builds. I would not recommend ANYONE install it! Needless to say, I am not done with Avast!. You took a really great product and essentially turned it into something that is just as bad as the viruses it's supposed to be protecting against.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 7 Windows 7 multiple issues
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:34:58 PM »
Never had any problems such as yours here on my 64 bit systems but the removal tool is here for you to use http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe easy to find if you use the forums search function :)

Arizona Willie

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:09:23 PM »
I was using Avast Internet Security with Windows 7 64 bit on an SSD and it was working well.

Then, presumably, an update caused some problem because the SSD began freezing every few minutes.
It became completely unusable.

I happened to come here looking for info about using Avast with Windows 8 and noticed some posts where people claimed Avast ver7 was freezing their computers too.

I, regretfully, un-installed Avast from the SSD and have not had one freeze since. It is running like a clock. No problems at all.
I did, of course, turn on Windows firewall and Defender. Being behind a router i'm fairly safe anyway but would like to be able to have my Avast back.

I'm leery of re-installing now.

As I type this I'm in Windows 8 and Avast seems to work fine except it is blocking the Windows Store and I haven't figured out how to make it let that work yet.

I don't know if the update somehow got corrupted or if the update is the problem --- but it made my SSD C drive totally unusable.

The update hasn't bothered Windows 8 on a regular platter drive.

octoberasian

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:50:38 PM »
I've had similar issues with a new installation of Windows 7 64-bit and Avast.  I've had to uninstall Avast 4 times already.

The problem is this:
  • Transferring files from one hard drive to another with Avast installed, Windows and/or other programs slows to a crawl or locks up.  Without Avast, it transfers files without issue.
  • Installing a program with Avast installed slows the computer down.  Without Avast, the program installs fine.
  • Browsing files on my computer with Avast installed, Explorer.exe freezes along with other programs.  Without Avast it's fine.
Whenever the above happens, I have to do a hard reset on my computer because the computer becomes unresponsive.

The weird part is that I've not had this issue with Avast 6 but it's been happening since updating to Avast 7.

My computer specs are the following:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core i5 2400
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Plextor 128 MB SSD with OS installed on it
640 GB HD for My Documents and My Music
640 GB HD for Games
640 GB HD for backups

It shouldn't be slowing down at all by going by my computer specs alone.

EDIT: Should be Avast 7, not Avast 6 above.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:57:32 PM by octoberasian »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:29:28 PM »
My computer specs are the following:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core i5 2400
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Plextor 128 MB SSD with OS installed on it
640 GB HD for My Documents and My Music
640 GB HD for Games
640 GB HD for backups

Follow instructions: http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/patches/#ap20120403001

Edit: @Arizona Willie: Please follow above instructions, too. ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:34:26 PM by Asyn »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0