Author Topic: Avast "blocking" internet access  (Read 9109 times)

FunkyMunkey

Avast "blocking" internet access
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:45:10 PM »
Hi,

I have read that Avast doesn't block, etc., but I'm having big problems.

I have a Vista Home Premium HTPC. After about 15 minutes of using the internet, the internet stops working. If I close down firefox, it stays active in the processes menu of Task Manager. I can neither end the process or open up a new firefox window - i just get the "firefox is still running, please close it down" pop-up. Sometimes I'll be able to access the internet through IE for a short time afterwards, but eventually that also stops accessing the net, as does every other application (vista update, media center, etc.).

When this happens, I'm also unable to transfer files to/from my other PC, which stops showing up in Vista's Network window. If i try to shut down my PC, it takes about 5 minutes to shut down.

It's been like this since I built the PC a few months ago.

However, if I stop on-access protection before the internet freezes up, everything works absolutely fine indefinitely.

I have the same combination of Avast and ZoneAlarm on my other (XP) PC, and get none of these problems. I'd rather stick with Avast than change to another anti-virus software, but I've so far been unable to find a solution.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast "blocking" internet access
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:53:49 PM »
Ensure that you have the latest version of firefox, now 3.0.5. and see if that resolves the firefox still running.

Zone Alarm has form for this sort of thing, it seems to get selective amnesia when it comes to remembering application permissions, despite seeing the application has permission in Program Control, it still doesn't get through.

Delete the entry for the Web Shield, ashWebSv.exe in ZA Program control and start browsing ZA should ask permission again.

Personally I would get rid of ZA before I got rid of avast. ZA, the later versions really aren't as good as they once were and they get panned in firewall tests.

See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.

See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM »
FunkyMunkey,

It might be a problem with Vista's UAC.  Try shutting off UAC.

ZA is a good fw, I use it, look at my sig.  ZA & avast! work great together.  I prefer Opera to Firefox. ;)

FunkyMunkey

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 05:19:55 PM »
Just a quick note to say that I've sorted it out thanks to you guys.

I tried re-insstalling avast to see if that made a difference, but no joy. I'd been to busy to do any more experimenting, but I finally got around to trying a differend FIrewall this weekend.

I uninstalled ZoneAlarm, replaced it with Comodo and Hey Presto! everything is OK (touch wood).

Funnily enough, I installed ZoneAlarm on a mate's Vista PC a couple of weeks ago, and he's having similar problems. I'll have to swap it for Comodo now...  :)

Thanks again!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 07:10:45 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Myara

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 11:49:30 PM »
Hey guys,

Just for the record (and for helping future searchs), I was having the exact same problem.

Looking around for a solution, I found the "Comodo subtitution solution" (in this forum) and the "Staying with ZoneAlarm" solution as on:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=470849#c5

See ya.

Marcelo Myara
Rio de Janeiro / Brazil

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »
I was having the exact same problem.
Which one? Can't connect?
The best things in life are free.