Author Topic: Avast 4.8 Home Registration / License invalid?  (Read 10174 times)

Marc999

Avast 4.8 Home Registration / License invalid?
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:14:26 AM »
Hey guys, after trying out Avast 5.0.377 I have opted to go back to Avast 4.8 Home Edition.

I downloaded Avast 4.8 Home Edition (old product) from here: http://www.avast.com/en-ca/free-antivirus-download#tab4   
The English (US)(41MB) file

Installed and followed the registration link to here: http://www.avast.com/en-ca/registration-free-antivirus.php

The free license was copy/pasted as per instructions in email.  Avast tells me key is valid and downloads additional files, then asks me to reboot.  After reboot I notice Avast Home now says Avast Professional.  Strange....

I try to click on 'Start avast Antivirus'.  Another license window opens asking me to insert key.  I copy/paste same key.  Now it says invalid key.  I can't run a virus scan now.

I believe Avast directed me to the wrong Registration page, giving me a license key for Avast Free rather than Avast Home Edition.  Can anyone else confirm or relate to this story?

Any suggestion or links to proper registration page for Avast 4.8 Home Edition?

Marc

magnoliasouth

Re: Avast 4.8 Home Registration / License invalid?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 07:35:49 AM »
Odd that there were no replies. I am not using the beta and yet this is happening to me too. It's really frustrating. The FAQ stinks too because their answer is "the license works." Um, no it doesn't.  >:(

Oh and I meant to say that I'm not a newb here. I've been using Avast for several years and have been very pleased. This last key expiry though has messed it all up. If I can't get an answer, I guess I'll just have to uninstall and go to something else. I really don't want to but if it isn't going to work then what is the point?

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:39:15 AM »
This is Turkish page, but it may work for v4.8 registration....
http://www.avast.com/tur/home-registration.php

This page hasn't changed to new v5 yet.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 01:01:30 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »
The Turkish page linked above (thanks for that, NON) looks like it would work.
In the grey field the email address (E-Posta) should be entered, and re-typed in the box below.
Next, in "Ad-Soyad" goes your name.
Set the country (language).
The three letter code should be typed, and the box below should be ticked if you are using Avast at home in a non commercial environment.
Another possibility may be to try the secure registration. Move down the page a little, and click on the link in orange writing, in English,
"try register here" which leads here.
I don't know if this secure page will allow a key suitable for 4.8 to be produced. Worth a shot, though.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.