Author Topic: Avast Off and cannot turn ON!  (Read 4283 times)

tbug53

Avast Off and cannot turn ON!
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »
HELP!! Please I need help.. This morning I started my computer but could not connect to the internet so restarted in Safe Mode and did a system repair and restarted again. Now I have internet so I ran Avast complete scan and a Quick scan but showed no problems. I also ran Spybot_D and a Malware program which did show an adware (4) in the rootkit. I "fixed"removed the problem and did a restart and now my Avast is off and I cannot start it. Tried to remove but could not kept saying "Avast is not on". Does anyone know what is going on and how to fix it? Please advise
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:12:46 AM by tbug53 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Off and cannot turn ON!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:26:30 AM »
try avast repair and reboot

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

tbug53

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:50:47 AM »
I tried that and as I mentioned in my post I got a message that Avast was not on...I appreciate your offer of help got any other suggestions? as I am totally lost and do not want to run my comp w/o protection

Raj.Kashyap

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:57:15 AM »
Is it showing Unsecured?

tbug53

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 01:14:43 AM »
Yes..The orange globe has a red X and when you touch it w/cursor it says"avast! AVAST: WARNING, your system is insecure.

Raj.Kashyap

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:34:23 AM »
Try to remove the avast using below steps and then reinstall it.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

tbug53

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 02:44:12 AM »
I hope you don't think I'm totally dumb but when the instructions says download to your desktop what exactly does this mean..because when I try to dl this program it does not show on my desktop.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »
I hope you don't think I'm totally dumb but when the instructions says download to your desktop what exactly does this mean..because when I try to dl this program it does not show on my desktop.
When you download the removal tool it will be downloaded to wherever you have choosen your downloads to go eg ( documents, downloads ) and the tool has to be run in safe mode, as Pondus mentioned in reply 1 try a repair of avast first by following the instuctions he placed for you, the system repair you ran is not a repair of avast.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:34:06 AM by craigb »

danieloneal

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
Try to remove the avast using below steps and then reinstall it.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

The removal link works but a message comes up that self-protection needs to be disabled in Settings.  I have done that but the "self protect" does not remain disabled.  Therefore, I cannot remove Avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »
I have a warning  message  saying the Avast firewall is turn off  and I cannot turn  it on?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 06:32:45 AM »
I have a warning  message  saying the Avast firewall is turn off  and I cannot turn  it on?
Repair Avast:
1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> Avast
2. Click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0