Author Topic: Last update caused Windows to go blue screen  (Read 3365 times)

westsunrise

Last update caused Windows to go blue screen
« on: June 24, 2011, 07:12:45 AM »
After installing the Avast's  "special update" that popped out on my screen on June 21, 2011 Windows could never load up. I strongly believe that it is something wrong with that update. It was not the automatic usual daily message, it was different even in color. I clicked to install that "special update" and when I was asked to re-start the computer it kept on trying to load Windows time after time with a blue screen.  I had to do a Windows Repair and, since Avast was not working after that, I uninstalled it and Windows loaded correctly. I re-installed Avast from its web site, and I was not able to open any program, not even the browser. I uninstalled Avast and Windows worked normally.
I have been using Avast Free software for one year without problems while using Windows XP  Home Edition Pack 1. Today I updated my computer to Pack 3, but I am afraid to re-install Avast since I am convinced that it is something wrong with that update, not with the Pack number.
It is unfortunate, but I will have to look for another anti-virus unless someone looks into this trouble. Thank you. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Last update caused Windows to go blue screen
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 07:59:40 AM »
Please dont start multiple posts about the same issue, keep them to this thread now that you have opened it.

westsunrise, now that you have updated to SP3 why not give avast another try! you might be pleasantly surprised 
If you check the sig's of the other user's you will notice that there are plenty of xp user's with no issues, it pay's to always keep your system clean with something like ccleaner and always updated with the latest from windows updates and any other programs you may be running.

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 08:03:59 AM »
You may try downloading and running the clean-uninstall tool for Avast.

After updating to (at least) SP3, is your Windows "requesting" validation/registration?

Double check that, and only *then* (re)install Avast.

Not a real "solution", but it is a "workaround" that apparently helped other users.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 08:11:09 AM »
You may try downloading and running the clean-uninstall tool for Avast.

After updating to (at least) SP3, is your Windows "requesting" validation/registration?

Double check that, and only *then* (re)install Avast.

Not a real "solution", but it is a "workaround" that apparently helped other users.
Being that the op doesn't have avast on there system at the moment what would be the purpose of running the uninstall tool? the tool is only required if you have issues with removing avast.
The op has also not mentioned anything about windows validation so lets not go off on the wrong track.

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 08:50:21 AM »
Being that the op doesn't have avast on there system at the moment what would be the purpose of running the uninstall tool? the tool is only required if you have issues with removing avast.
The op has also not mentioned anything about windows validation so lets not go off on the wrong track.

Previously, it was mentioned trying re-installing Avast. A clean uninstall was NOT mentioned. Even when it seems that Avast was uninstalled, there are cases when a clean uninstall might still help. Since the OP seems to try re-installations, I thought it was worth mentioning a clean uninstall instead of a "normal" uninstall.

About the validation, you are correct about being an OT by itself. But since the OP mentioned recently updating to SP3, and there are several topics with similar problems around pre SP2/SP3 and post SP2/SP3, I thought it was worth mentioning that some cases were resolved by confirming the status (registration/validation) of the "new" XP SP3, performing ALL Windows updates first, rebooting and only *then* reinstalling Avast.

As I said, "workarounds" (not real "solutions") that may or may not successfully work in these particular case.

In any case, having Windows up-to-date is a good idea.