Author Topic: [Help]Svchost.exe hogging 50% of CPU  (Read 26566 times)

Silk0

[Help]Svchost.exe hogging 50% of CPU
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:09:41 PM »
Hey.

1st of all, i wanna say a big THANKS to all Team of AVAST Software and persons who help for make such a excellent program. I'm already user since 2008.

Ok... Now the problem:
For some reason, yesterday, my CPU started to go to 50% for some reason... I've read some articles about it but none of the solutions worked.
The problem beyond this is a Svchost.exe spending 50% continuously. I don't know for what reason or the process/program beyond this.
Gonna leave a list of the services running with the svchost.exe:
Appinfo
BITS
Browser
EapHost
gpsvc
IKEEXT
iphlpsvc
Lanman Server
ProfSvc
RasMan
Schedule
SENS
ShellHWDetection
Themes
Winmgmt
wuauserv

I used the Process Explorer to check this, by the way.
And already turned mad because this is still "eating" half of my CPU!

Anyways... If you can help me fix this problem, i'll be grateful!

Ah... and my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks,
Silk0
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:12:59 PM by Silk0 »

CrazyAaron84

Re: [Help]Svchost.exe hogging 50% of CPU
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:08:47 PM »
next time you see svchost.exe taking up that much cpu, try right clicking on it and selecting "go to services" and let us know what services are highlighted

it may be a matter of turning off services you dont need, but id rather have you check beforehand to be safe and not turn off any essential services windows would need

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »
The problem is the nature of Svchost as it is a Service Host and is used by other applications, so for the most part it isn't actually svchost that is using the CPU but something using it. The windows update is a major hog of svchost as that is what it uses to connect to get your updates.

Some report that if they switch from the newer Microsoft Update back to Windows Update, plus manually using Office Update, the issue goes away. To flip back to WU from MU, just follow the instructions in KB 901037. Just remember, if you do this, you'll have to manually go to Office Update to get patches on Patch Tuesday.
I'll update Patch Watch readers in future editions with any new information on this very vexing issue.

USEFUL - Find out what is using the SVCHOST Service.
Windows Start, Run, type (or copy and paste) "cmd.exe /k tasklist /svc > c:\tasklist.txt" without the quotes - this opens a command window and runs the tasklist for services, the > c:\tasklist.txt outputs the results to the file and location given:
svchost.exe                 1020 DcomLaunch, TermService                     
svchost.exe                 1080 RpcSs                                       
svchost.exe                 1108 AudioSrv, BITS, CryptSvc, dmserver,         
                                 EventSystem, helpsvc, HidServ, Netman, Nla, 
                                 RasMan, Schedule, SENS, SharedAccess,       
                                 ShellHWDetection, TapiSrv, Themes, winmgmt, 
                                 wscsvc, wuauserv                             

So first having identified in task manager, which PID (Process Identifier) copy of svchost.exe is using the high CPU% and check that against the above data you get having run the analysis.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yongsua

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 04:59:54 PM »
I can't accessed it...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 05:04:56 PM »
You may have to run cmd.exe as an administrator in win7.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Silk0

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 08:43:29 PM »

The 2nd svchost.exe it's the responsible for the consume of 50% of my CPU.
Any suspect process?

By the way, i don't think it's virus or something else cause i'm really strict about security and i haven't download any suspicious stuff (as far i know).

About Windows Update... I have activated since a long time ago... Didn't get any problem and worked fine. This 50% consumption problem already appeared 1 time but disappeared with no notice. Now it's back... and sincerely i don't know what to do. I suspect about Windows Update but... it's safe to turn him off?

Anyway... Thanks a lot for your reply, DavidR.

I'll keep waiting for more possible solutions for this "eating" problem.

Silk0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:52:35 PM »
Then you have to investigate the processes in that particular copy of svchost, google the names, etc. and see what it is.

This unfortunately isn't easy to pin down which of these is responsible for the lions share of the CPU%.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »
The best things in life are free.

Silk0

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
Thanks to both replies.

I searched all the processes on Google and seems all legit.
Downloading the Svchost Analyzer right now.

Silk0

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 09:14:29 PM »
Ok... So... I installed and started the Svchost Analyzer and i saw the svchost (the one who's waisting 50% of CPU) got 17 Services! But all the processes are legit and belongs to Microsoft Files. So i think it's all OK.
But... 17 services!? That's the reason for the main problem? Cause the other svchosts have: 9,6,5, etc.
I have one svchost with 49 services but the program says Inactive svchost.

My current question is: What is the process or processes responsible for this consumption?
But it seems a question with no answer as far i see...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:16:14 PM by Silk0 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 09:15:09 PM »
Thanks for that timely reminder Tech, I actually have that little utility, but forgot all about it ;D

Whilst it makes it easer to get the data I mentioned earlier, it doesn't pin down which process within svchost.exe that is eating the CPU%.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:18:21 PM »
Whilst it makes it easer to get the data I mentioned earlier, it doesn't pin down which process within svchost.exe that is eating the CPU%.
Process Explorer will do it.
You can expand for details of a particular process.

Silk0

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 09:21:57 PM »
Already saw with all those programs but all the processes are ok and belongs to Microsoft stuff. But i think exists one or maybe two processes waisting 50% of CPU continuously . But... which one(s)?

So... and sorry if i'm looking quite annoying, this problem doesn't have a certain solution for now? :-\

Cause having one or two process(es) waisting 50% it's kinda bored and affects my Computer performance...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »
Already saw with all those programs but all the processes are ok and belongs to Microsoft stuff. But i think exists one or maybe two processes waisting 50% of CPU continuously . But... which one(s)?
Use Process Explorer to see it (run it as admin).

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 09:27:18 PM »
Process Explorer will do it.
You can expand for details of a particular process.

Process Explorer v12.04
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx