Author Topic: Beware telephone virus scams  (Read 7350 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Beware telephone virus scams
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »
A PC Pro reader was left startled after a customer support company rang his grandfather to tell him there was a virus on his PC, and then tried to charge him £185 to remove it.

Beware!! hxxp://www.thenerdsupport.com/ is a SCAM.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/356833/pensioner-targeted-by-fake-virus-phone-scam
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Beware telephone virus scams
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 04:38:57 PM »
Maybe if your stupid enough to fall for something like that, you deserve it.  ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »
I'm sure the people who get scammed will appreciate your wisdom.

Hally

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:13:20 PM »
Hi  :)

I've had a few of those phone calls in the last few months  ::)
Where the caller starts off trying to tell me they are calling because I have problem with my computer.
They sometimes try to make out they are working for Microsoft.
However!
That's as far as they get... Before I scream at them and slam the phone down  ;D
But You Know What?
Pick up the phone... And they are still there  :o
Slam - Pick Up - Still There! .. Slam - Pick Up - Still There!  
It takes about 5 good screams and slams to get rid of them  >:(

Trouble Is...
On April 1st My ISP Called.
I gave the poor lad a terrible time  :-[
Coz I was just so scared to believe he was who he said he was.
Nearly missed out on an upgrade.

Hally

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:16:30 PM by Hally »

johnmili

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 09:38:31 AM »
Really , that's the problem  i am also facing , i also got a call from someone and they are saying to me that i have a virus in my computer , then i ask  about their company and the answer is nerd support , but how it is possible , i  already have the yearly subscription from nerd support and i am having no problem in my pc ,nerd support providing me better services .  i think ,anyone is using their name , so beware of such type of calls that say they are from nerd support.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:51:50 AM »
Really , that's the problem  i am also facing , i also got a call from someone and they are saying to me that i have a virus in my computer , then i ask  about their company and the answer is nerd support , but how it is possible , i  already have the yearly subscription from nerd support and i am having no problem in my pc ,nerd support providing me better services .  i think ,anyone is using their name , so beware of such type of calls that say they are from nerd support.

Nerd Support is a scam.

If they are still trying to sell you their "service", it just proves they are incompetent as well as fraudulent.

"They showed him a fake list of faults a full-page long, then directed him to a payment area for a bill of £185," related McCartney, who arrived just in time to stop the payment.

According to The Nerd Support's homepage the £185 buys one year's worth of support, however, a closer look at the company's Terms of Service reveals some worrying clauses. "The Nerd Support Group reserve the right to cancel service at any time with no prior notice, for any reason they, in their sole discretion, deem appropriate," it said.

"You agree, as our client, to be financially responsible for all services rendered. You also agree to refrain from requesting 'charge-backs' or canceling any fees or service charges paid for with your credit card," it continued.

That's not all that's suspect about the company's website. The Customer Testimonials and FAQs pages are copied from other websites, including iYogi - a legitimate customer support company - and amusingly still offer that company's phone number.

We contacted The Nerd Support ourselves using the company's 0203 "freephone" number (which isn't actually free), which took us to a foreign-language menu system. Blindly pressing numbers led us to a customer service advisor who claimed to be based in London, but refused to give us a company address, or answer our questions, before hanging up.

The company is not registered at Companies House, and a WHOIS search directed us to domain registrar GoDaddy.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/356833/pensioner-targeted-by-fake-virus-phone-scam

If you paid by credit card, contact your card company and tell them the transaction was fraudulent: you might get your money back.

johnmili

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:38:38 AM »
Really , that's the problem  i am also facing , i also got a call from someone and they are saying to me that i have a virus in my computer , then i ask  about their company and the answer is nerd support , but how it is possible , i  already have the yearly subscription from nerd support and i am having no problem in my pc ,nerd support providing me better services .  i think ,anyone is using their name , so beware of such type of calls that say they are from nerd support.

Nerd Support is a scam.

If they are still trying to sell you their "service", it just proves they are incompetent as well as fraudulent.

"You are getting some thing wrong  , i am saying anyone is using their name and doing mischiefs like this .i know this company very well because i am using their services ,they are trustful  not a scam . "

"They showed him a fake list of faults a full-page long, then directed him to a payment area for a bill of £185," related McCartney, who arrived just in time to stop the payment.

According to The Nerd Support's homepage the £185 buys one year's worth of support, however, a closer look at the company's Terms of Service reveals some worrying clauses. "The Nerd Support Group reserve the right to cancel service at any time with no prior notice, for any reason they, in their sole discretion, deem appropriate," it said.

"You agree, as our client, to be financially responsible for all services rendered. You also agree to refrain from requesting 'charge-backs' or canceling any fees or service charges paid for with your credit card," it continued.

That's not all that's suspect about the company's website. The Customer Testimonials and FAQs pages are copied from other websites, including iYogi - a legitimate customer support company - and amusingly still offer that company's phone number.

We contacted The Nerd Support ourselves using the company's 0203 "freephone" number (which isn't actually free), which took us to a foreign-language menu system. Blindly pressing numbers led us to a customer service advisor who claimed to be based in London, but refused to give us a company address, or answer our questions, before hanging up.

The company is not registered at Companies House, and a WHOIS search directed us to domain registrar GoDaddy.

If you paid by credit card, contact your card company and tell them the transaction was fraudulent: you might get your money back.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:14:54 AM »
Thanks for the info. Frank.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 10:18:18 AM »

Nerd Support is a scam.

"You are getting some thing wrong  , i am saying anyone is using their name and doing mischiefs like this .i know this company very well because i am using their services ,they are trustful  not a scam . "

Nerd Support is a scam: look at the evidence.

They showed him a fake list of faults a full-page long, then directed him to a payment area for a bill of £185.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 04:48:33 PM »
Wow scary..

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 11:13:16 PM »
Warning over anti-virus cold-calls to UK internet users

Internet users are being warned about cold-callers who offer to fix viruses but then install software to steal personal information.

Some gangs, employing up to 400 people, are known to set up their own call centres to target people en masse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11754487