Author Topic: Avast WebRep  (Read 9950 times)

User456

Avast WebRep
« on: October 05, 2011, 03:53:11 PM »
Hello everybody,

I just installed the free Avast on my computer and it came with WebRep.  When I opened up one of my sites, it said it had a bad rating based on many votes.  I then went to my other sites and ALL of them had the same rating.  I run about a few hundred websites for my business on two servers and every single domain of mine says that  :o

Now I have a suspicion that it's one of my ex-IT employees that managed my sites.  He stole half of my sites and went down the street to open up his own business and now is ripping content off my sites and stealing my traffic/customers.

What's even worse is that he takes a domain name that I have, puts an "s" on the end and rips the content off my site.  So I'm thinking he is running around the web and voting Bad on every one of my site.  

How can I remove these false votes??   :-\

Oh and P.S. his ripped off/stolen sites are as green as they can be...  ::)

Thank you for ANY input!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:57:10 PM by User456 »

User456

Re: Avast WebRep
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »
So since nobody can help me here and avast say:

Hello,

I am sorry but I cannot help you with this. avast! WebRep rating is made only by users and I am worried that we cannot recognize these false votes from the real ones.

Best regards,

Jakub Vanous
AVAST Software a.s.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me again.

What is the legal department of Avast! because I will not have this happen!  I need to get in contact with somebody that has to know something about this.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:59:25 PM »
I think the only way is to get the positive rating of other users.
Your ex-IT employees have one vote per IP only.
You need a layer to solve your issue with your ex-employees and not with avast ::)
The best things in life are free.

User456

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 10:32:12 PM »
I think the only way is to get the positive rating of other users.
Your ex-IT employees have one vote per IP only.
You need a layer to solve your issue with your ex-employees and not with avast ::)

Then answer me how a single person can make my 1000+ domains (and I do mean that many) to be rated BAD "based on many votes".  There's just NO possible way this was generated organically by people going and voting like that.  I mean some of those sites have less than 10 people traffic a month!  This was a server wide script/hack of some kind.

And about the layer issue, I have been battling this for a year now but it's a loosing battle since nobody wants to listen  ::)

So what now?  I'm out of luck because Avast! does not know how to keep track/record of their software?  ::)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:36:16 PM by User456 »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:52:40 PM »
Have you tried to track IP addresses? If you can trace them back to your ex-employee you could take legal action on him. If nothing else you will be able to verify your suspicions.

In my humble opinion, I can't see where it could be avast's fault. The best solution is as stated above is to allow one vote per user and no more than one vote per user. Using IP addresses for "one vote" could be a problem as many computers are in homes where every member of the household uses the same machine.

It is not up to avast to "babysit" each user as this would be intrusive and would defeat the anonimity of the user. And there is this "freedom of speech" thing. He can say anything he wants as long as it's not defaming.

You might consider Tech's advice and hire a lawyer.

edit...Since I don't use WebRep I forgot "one vote per IP address.

You might try http://www.reputation.com/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:56:06 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline OldeGrayWolf

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:59:11 PM »
Have you considered approaching the Consumer Protection Division of your state's Attorney General? Cyber crimes are not so easy to get away with now that policing is catching up with the technology.  Laws are being revised to fit into the twenty-first century. If there are not yet laws on the books to protect folks like you from folks like him/her, there should/will be.  A few years ago, while also doing some SEO work (hourly 'wage') for someone who turned out to be a lot like your "ex", I had a site highjacked and the jerks are still using my well-placed in Google rankings site for their own spamming purposes from India. Jeesh, I hope you weren't tangled up with the same guy (out of Nevada?)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:32:15 PM »
Have you considered approaching the Consumer Protection Division of your state's Attorney General?
Your a bit late as the thread is 7 months old :)