Author Topic: Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk] x4 found in Virus Chest  (Read 2477 times)

Scion

Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk] x4 found in Virus Chest
« on: November 27, 2010, 01:54:25 PM »
Hello, first off, I have to tell you, I am fairly computer illiterate, so bare with me.

Recently upon starting up my computer, a virus was found and moved to the Virus Chest. I did a whole system scan, finding that 3 more of the same type of virus also came up and I chose to send them to the Virus Chest.

Basically, there are 4 of these viruses, cannot get a screen shot up as image-shack is playing up :(
They are all Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk] type viruses. they were located in the /Temp folder apart from one which was /Roaming.
They have the names:
Md4J37ed5867.exe
qvQY1jzdn8xZ.exe
win.exe
win.exe (again)

Restarted computer, everything is running fine, now I know that as they are in the Virus Chest, my computer is safe, but it is really bugging me that they are there (silly, I know). So I am looking for confirmation so that I can delete them, as I am pretty sure they are not 'false-positives', but would like someone in the know to give me reassurance :)

Thanks,
Scion

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk] x4 found in Virus Chest
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 02:44:43 PM »
There is no rush to delete anything from the quarantin/chest, let it stay there for 30 days just in case it is FP, if there is no problem with the comp, then you can delete

Clean, Quarantine, or Delete?
http://antivirus.about.com/b/2007/03/11/clean-quarantine-or-delete.htm

do and extra check with this

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46 http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
always update the program before you scan
click the remove selected button to quarantine anything found
you may post the scan log here if anything is found

Scion

Re: Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk] x4 found in Virus Chest
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 06:25:39 PM »
Ah, I see, I will leave them for a while  :)

I ran Malwarebytes, which thankfully came up with no findings, neat program to have :D

Thanks for the advice Pondus, greatly appreciated,
Scion