Author Topic: Should I use a firewall program in addition to Avast! Free 6.0.1?  (Read 12658 times)

squarepegger

I've been using Avast! ever since version 4 and am very satisfied. It's gotten better and better over time.

I just watched a tech program on CNET that said all you need is one good anti-malware suite rather than having several different anti-malware programs such as an anti-virus program, a firewall program, etc.

So does Avast! Free perform all the security functions that a firewall program such as ZoneAlarm, Comodo, Outpost, etc. do, or should I run both Avast! Free and a firewall program such as ZoneAlarm?

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Should I use a firewall program in addition to Avast! Free 6.0.1?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »
The short answer is yes, as avast free doesn't have a firewall unless you have the Avast Internet Security (AIS) suite, a paid option.

What you don't mention is your OS as they all come with a firewall of sorts, XP's is inbound protection only. Vista and win7 firewall have outbound protection, but it is disabled by default.
- You could also enable the outbound protection of the Vista or Windows 7 firewall, but it isn't very friendly, is rule based and you have to create the rules. - Vista & Windows 7 Firewall Control, http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html and this, http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/faq.html.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dieselman

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »
That all depends upon your OS. If XP then yes. If Windows 7 then no.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »
The best things in life are free.

Dieselman

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »
OutPost Firewall Free is no longer supported. They replaced that with OutPost Free Security Suite. But then again it depends upon the OS being used.

http://free.agnitum.com/

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:02:25 PM »
In my personal opinion:

Comodo
Online Armour
Outpost Firewall Free

Do the same folks that manufacture OnLine Armour also manufacture and sell Emsisoft Anti-Malware?

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

Avast doesn't seem to like Emsisoft.

When it is in memory AIS identifies it as a virus.

umbrapolaris

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 09:07:15 AM »
So does Avast! Free perform all the security functions that a firewall program such as ZoneAlarm, Comodo, Outpost, etc. do, or should I run both Avast! Free and a firewall program such as ZoneAlarm?

avast FREE is just an AV and dont possess any Firewall. so you need one.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »
Avast doesn't seem to like Emsisoft.
When it is in memory AIS identifies it as a virus.

I run the free EAM here without problems. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

umbrapolaris

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
me too, no problem with EAM

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
Emsisoft bought Online Armor (OA) from Mike Nash, the owner of OA.  OA itself is still the same firewall, and the OA developers moved over to Emsi and are now working on a new release (a public beta is now available). 

Avast and OA have never been a problem.  As with any security software, it is recommended that you add each into exclusions.

squarepegger

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied.

I've always used a firewall along with Avast! Free and will continue to do so. Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again!  :)

SafeSurf

You are very welcome.  Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.  :)

Dieselman

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:03:38 PM »
What is your OS?

squarepegger

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
@Dieselman

I have XP Pro SP3 32 bit. The firewall program I use (ZoneAlarm) turns off Microsoft's firewall.

I've tried other firewalls with varying results. I liked Outpost Free, but after a few weeks it shut down and told me my trial period was over. That doesn't sound "free" to me.

A couple of times a year, ZoneAlarm Pro is given away free by its developer, Checkpoint Software, so why not use the Pro version if they give it away?

Thanks again everybody, you've been great!

Dieselman

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 02:47:09 PM »
ZA Free is garbage and is actually no better then Windows Firewall for XP. Your better off with Online Armor,PC Tools or Comodo. OutPost also has a free version. Private Firewall is another free firewall. Take your pick.