Author Topic: So, is Avast the culprit of this mess???  (Read 2109 times)

contrarian

So, is Avast the culprit of this mess???
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:24:30 AM »
About two months ago Firefox had another update. Since then I had trouble with my Yahoo mail. I could not open messages. When i tried to compose a message, i could never go beyond the headings and type in any actual text. Then, when i went to Yahoo mail in Explorer, Explorer would crash umpteen times before I had completed a short email. I contributed this problem to the Firefox upgrade. The OS was Vista and I used the free Avast program for antivirus. I liked Avast well enough.

A month ago I bought another laptop and was delighted that I could use Yahoo mail normally again. Btw, i have Yahoo accounts for mail that may result in spam, etc. On my laptop was a 30-day trial of Norton which I used. It seemed all right, not as "in your face" as Norton used to be. Today the Norton trial expired. Since I was always happy with Avast, i decided to buy the top program with Internet Security and installed it.

Just now I tried to write a short email in Yahoo and the old problems are all back in force. In Firefox I couldn't type in any text. And in Explorer, Explorer crashed so many times as I was in Yahoo mail that I never managed to finish a 3 sentences email.

So, now I am wondering whether Avast has been the cause of my Yahoo problems? What can I do about this as I use Yahoo mail daily and the way it has been acted up and resumed this nonsense this evening, is driving me crazy.

Help, please!

PS: I wasn't sure in which forum to post. So, please, move my message if it ended up in the wrong forum.

Domz

Re: So, is Avast the culprit of this mess???
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:42:30 AM »
Try uninstalling avast! and see what happens when you use your e-mail. I have had browser problems like this before. I know that avast! was not the cause of my problems. I am assuming that when you say 'Explorer' you mean Internet Explorer and not explorer.exe. Did you recently upgrade to IE9? I gave had alot of problems with it like toolbars and olivine making it crash and web pages not working correctally. But see if uninstalling avast! makes a difference and then re-install it and try again.

Dch48

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:57:14 PM »
I just tried my Yahoo mail and it works fine but, I'm still using the Classic version and I'm on XP. Maybe there are problems with other Windows versions or with the new Yahoo?

contrarian

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:08:42 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Actually, Yahoo seems to be working fine again. I overreacted last night when it started the same annoying behavior as on my old laptop with Yahoo mail. Since i had just installed Avast, i wondered whether that caused a problem. It probably just was a coincidence. Sometimes just to complain about something seems to make the problem go away.