Author Topic: Strange behaviour by my system . .  (Read 2395 times)

NTxLS

Strange behaviour by my system . .
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:39:50 AM »
Greetings,

After looking over this board, my problem is nothing like these.  Here they have some known infection or their detection system has alerted them.

Mine has worked just fine for over two years without any difficulties until about 3 weeks to a month ago.  Input to the Google search box, in FireFox v13.0.1, and pressed enter, every thing froze for about a half minute, checked the Status Bar of FF and there it showed, 'Looking up google.com' why(?) when it has run just fine for over 2 years.  (My thoughts turned to DNS Changer which I had checked for on the FBI test site and shown as clean.)  Being of 'dual-noids' (also known as paranoid) the ON/OFF function was set to OFF.  I awaited about 4/5 minutes then returned to the ON setting, pressing the F8 to enter the safe mode where I learned that Avast is not accessible from there, but; Superantispyware is and ran that scan, clean, no problem.  Re-boot to normal mode and ran Microsoft Security Client Full scan, Avast! Free Full Scan, Spybot Search and Destroy/w Tea Timer, all came back clean nothing found.  Still having problems, not often, with my screen freezing, drive light showing much activity (full on/not flashing) some times the mouse will not move.  This freezing takes place from 30 sec to 4 minutes.  When the drive light finally goes out my mouse and anything clicked to advance to on the screen will then take place.

Windows has done some re-boots to a repair function and has done several restores (about three) to an earlier time yet this strange activity still takes place, not as often as before.

Am presently running Intel Dual Core Processor 2.13GHz, acts like a quad, 4GigRAM, Win7 SP1 AutoUpdates 64bit, FireFox v13.0.1, Avast! Internet Security [Trial] v7.0.x, Malwarebytes Anti Malware [MBAM] v1.62.0.1300 [Trial], Superantispyware Free, Spybot Search & Destroy/w Tea Timer.

About a week ago I used the Avast! cleansweep and removed that Free version and downloaded the Internet Security Trial and Malwarebytes Anti Malware Trial adding them to my system.  Since doing this my freezings have plummeted to not very often and all scans are coming back clean.

I am just a little concerned this could be a rootkit that just has not been given any instructions as to what to do, yet.  How good are those rootkits at hiding from GMER type software?  I had used GMER for a very long time until Avast started to use it in their scanner when I started using Avast.

There are more entries to be made if need be, just getting tooooo loonnngg.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Strange behaviour by my system . .
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »
well..... attach the logs and let essexboy have a look inside
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

NTxLS

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »
Pondus,
The link you so graciously provided has been purged with the following in RED lettering:

'This topic has been cleaned out of unrelated posts.

Any Questions on either the Tools or Procedure or Problems, please post in a new topic'

The latest MBAM Log shows NO entries found, what can be learned from a clean log?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »
The purging is to keep the Information topic to be just that, not to be filled with questions and or peoples logs, etc.

The idea is that you follow the instructions in the first post, so you have to run the other tools OTL and aswMBR and attach their logs as outlined in the first post. These logs are used for analysis of what is/may be on your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NTxLS

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »
I thank you for this information and will accomplish the task at hand when time will allow me to perform said operations.  When you are retired and only one to take care of household needs as well as chief cook and bottle washer along with laundry, well you get the idea.  As of Mother's Day this year I am alone as my Wife of 48 and a half years passed leaving me all tasks to be performed.

Now to what you said, read the first (#1) post and do what is required?  Will be done ASAP! er maybe this evening or tomorrow morning.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 05:41:57 PM »
No problem, when you are ready.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security