Author Topic: How do I set up Avast Pro to scan for PUP's?  (Read 3699 times)

ecbritz

How do I set up Avast Pro to scan for PUP's?
« on: July 23, 2012, 03:24:33 AM »
I've read on this forum that Avast Pro can be set to detect PUP's. How do I set up Avast to do this? What is the menu path to this setting?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do I set up Avast Pro to scan for PUP's?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:39:40 AM »
Personally scanning for PUPs can bring more pain than gain (why it is off by default) as the user has to have a reasonable knowledge of what a PUP is, what is installed on their system and what it does, so when asked the question (essentially what to do) they can make an informed decision on what action to take.

Scanning for PUPs happens in two different areas:
On-demand scans - in which case you need to change the Settings, Sensitivity, 'Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), for the scan you want to run (Quick, Full, etc.).

Real-Time Shields - Expert Settings, Sensitivity, 'Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), for the real-time shield you want, File System Shield, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ecbritz

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:45:30 AM »
Thanks very much for this well-considered answer. I installed a trial version of Malwarebytes Pro. It detected thirteen (13) nasties on one of the two external HD's attached to my computer. These were mainly Toolbar-type PUPs which had taken over my browser in the past, and other malware I could only really get rid of -- on the computer itself, the main unit -- by re-installing Windows. Malwarebytes Pro sniffed these fugitives out, hiding on one of the two external drives for perhaps two years already. But now I am "clean at last".  What should I do? Change the sensitivity settings in Avast Pro? Or buy Malwarebytes to back Avast Pro up? (That would be Avast Pro with default sensitivity settings.)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:55:33 AM »
If you check out the signitures of many of the members here you'll see MBAM Pro in alot of them, very nice tool to backup avast :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »
Thanks very much for this well-considered answer. I installed a trial version of Malwarebytes Pro. It detected thirteen (13) nasties on one of the two external HD's attached to my computer. These were mainly Toolbar-type PUPs which had taken over my browser in the past, and other malware I could only really get rid of -- on the computer itself, the main unit -- by re-installing Windows. Malwarebytes Pro sniffed these fugitives out, hiding on one of the two external drives for perhaps two years already. But now I am "clean at last".  What should I do? Change the sensitivity settings in Avast Pro? Or buy Malwarebytes to back Avast Pro up? (That would be Avast Pro with default sensitivity settings.)

No problem, glad I could help.

Personally I haven't changed the settings in either my on-demand or on-access scanners (other than the web shield) to scan for PUPS. I may well be one of the exceptions to the rule in that I know what is installed on my system and if I did enable for scanning for PUPs should know what it is about to make a decision on an action to take.

If you are comfortable with making those decisions, know what is legitimately on your system and know what its purpose is, then there would be no problem in increasing the sensitivity and also scanning for PUPs. Since I also have MBAM Pro, which compliments avast, I don't see the need to do this and guess what I haven't had a single detection on MBAM Pro (and I don't really expect to).

Toolbars however, many of these are self inflicted, they in most cases require a degree of user cooperation. Normally this is in the form of applications you install seem to want to install a toolbar, some however may well make an offer to help/improve your browsing/searching, etc. etc. (the benefit from this is for the companies). You have to be vigilant on what you say yes to now as everyone and there friend want to install a toolbar spit.

What you have to remember is that the tools are there to serve you so don't fall into the trap of having so much security that you serve it. One thing you should have is your if all else fails, a robust backup and recovery strategy (for any eventuality not just malware), I use hard disk imaging software run weekly for that recovery strategy.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security