Author Topic: Avast 7.0.1456 Causes Extremely Slow Boot :(  (Read 8268 times)

Berxerker

Avast 7.0.1456 Causes Extremely Slow Boot :(
« on: July 24, 2012, 08:31:05 AM »
Ok so, I factory reset my laptop today. Finally. It was so full of unnecessary stuff, files were disordered, my C: partition was filled up, but most importantly, it was slow. Very slow.

Now, after setting everything up, (installing all Microsoft updates, Nvidia Drivers, etc.) my laptop worked seamlessly. Just perfect. Then, I decided to reinstall Avast. After the reboot, the boot time in total (as recorded by Event Viewer) was of 163.869 seconds. Wow. Really? It was just less than 40 seconds a few minutes before!

Well, I don't know what to do now. I did this from a clean OEM Windows 7 version, and Avast still bogs down my laptop's boot time massively? I hope I could do something but I'm just powerless :/ I want Avast to work, but it doesn't want to cooperate? Lol :/. Is there any way this could get fixed? By the way, I installed using Express Settings.

My laptop specs:

Intel Core i7 2630QM
Nvidia GT540M 1GB
6GB RAM
5'400RPM 640GB HDD
15.6" 1366x768
Windows 7 64-Bit

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 7.0.1456 Causes Extremely Slow Boot :(
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:40:30 AM »
so....when you factory reset the comp.....did you then also get back any factory installed antivirus ?...like Norton / McAfee

if so, it have to go. run and reboot - http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

you may also try this  StartUpLite speeds Windows' startup   http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/startuplite
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:03:26 AM by Pondus »

Berxerker

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »
Yeah. Trend Micro. Yet it's disabled, and Windows Defender is disabled too. I am currently running in a no-security mode while I install updates (I factory reset AGAIN, now to commit no mistake and basically get everything ordered).

drummerman

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »
Like you, I find AVAST slow to boot. Especially compared to the previous version.

Whilst mildly annoying I hope that the new features offer even more protection so am willing to put up with it. I've used the program for some years.

Still, it would be nice if the developers could make the boot-up process quicker for the next update

regards

Berxerker

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
Exactly the same. The previous version permitted me at least a boot under 100 seconds, now adding a minute doesn't really sound promising. Anyways, I'm still installing Microsoft updates (as I said, I factory reset AGAIN) and once I install Avast I'll try to create a fast [as long as secure] configuration.

drummerman

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
Perhaps post your findings thanks. I've tried numerous different configurations, including starting the service after other programmes have loaded to no avail. In that configuration it simply doesnt allow me to access the internet until AVAST has booted.

I hope you fare better.

Cheers

Berxerker

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 01:37:58 PM »
A main cause of my factory reset was that my Steam folder occupied and helped fill almost all of C:, thus I had an empty D: drive and a full C: drive, which I find illogical. I did manage to get the false positive yesterday, which kept convincing me to factory reset. As of now, the only things I plan on installing before Avast! Free Antivirus are:

Google Chrome
Microsoft Windows 7 SP1
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010

and as soon as these are installed, I will install Avast and then install:

Steam
Steam games
Minecraft

I mention these to see if there's any other program which may slowdown :p I am currently undecided whether to have Steam run at start-up or not (it seems not to create any problem, as it loads after the desktop has loaded).

Berxerker

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »
I hope I can find good settings, but I am not going to fiddle or mess around with settings that are plainly important. I want the system safe and fast, but I'll admit, safety is the priority. I could try to stand a couple minutes more each day just so I can be a little more safer that my laptop has no malware.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
Having avast and trendmicro installed will not help on boot time....
And it does not help to just disable it.....+all the other issues when having multiple AV installed
you need to uninstall it and also run the vendors uninstall tool to clear any leftover files that can conflict with avast

Berxerker

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »
Yeah. I had uninstalled TrendMicro with the vendor's tool much months ago, and I'd like to point out, this occurs with engine 7.0.1456, which is so far the latest program update. I have enabled Windows Defender temporarily, yet I will disable it when Avast is installed.

Also, the laptop performed equally after and before Trend Micro's install. Though, after the newest 7.0.1456 update, I have not been able to note any upgrades. I will stick to Avast though, as it's the antivirus I most trust out of the best.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:19:35 PM by Berxerker »