Author Topic: Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:23:17 AM »
I have used both Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware and I am wanting to know why Malwarebytes conflicts with avast 5.0 and Ad-Aware does not. And does either affect virus definition updates with avast 5.0? Yes, I had a bad experience with Malwarebytes. I do know that with avast 5.0 you do not "need" either one. But do do want maximum anti-spyware/anti-malware protection...I am so sorry I had a very old version of MBAM...I recently installed the latest version and all is well. Thanks for everyones input.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:53:41 AM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline RZPogi

Re: Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 03:44:26 AM »
If you are using Avast pro or AIS, add malwarebytes to the exception list. Same way on the Malwarebytes side, add avast on malwarebytes exception list.

Malwarebytes is now way better than Ad-Aware. Ad-aware is not able to catch up quickly on the latest malware trend. Malwarebytes is much more updated compared to Ad-aware.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:18:58 AM »
I wouldn't give adaware hard disk space, it really hasn't kept pace with malware developments and in my opinion MBAM is far better.

I have no idea what your bad experience with MBAM was or what version of MBAM you have free/pro.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gillest

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 11:40:44 PM »
I have used both Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware and I am wanting to know why Malwarebytes conflicts with avast 5.0 and Ad-Aware does not. And does either affect virus definition updates with avast 5.0? Yes, I had a bad experience with Malwarebytes. I do know that with avast 5.0 you do not "need" either one. But do do want maximum anti-spyware/anti-malware protection

no issues with Malwarebytes and Avast 5.0 on my Win7 64 bit system.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
I'm using MBAM (free version, not resident) with avast 5 (also free version) with no problems either.  I know when avast 5 first came out there were compatibility problems with the paid version of MBAM, but I thought those had eventually gotten straightened out.

And I agree with the others about Ad-Aware, it's become little better than a disk-space hog (same's pretty much true of Spybot S&D).  If you want a good "second opinion" companion for MBAM, many of us like SUPERAntiSpyware, often referred to as SAS.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent