Author Topic: Avast 4.8 Home Edition with Ad Aware 2007 Pro Version?  (Read 9253 times)

clairey

Avast 4.8 Home Edition with Ad Aware 2007 Pro Version?
« on: December 02, 2008, 01:29:14 PM »
Hi there, i was wondering if you could give me some advice?

I have avast 4.8 home edition (and ive used avast for years!) but i recently realised i have no anti spyware software, so i got Ad Aware 2007 Pro edition, which has this Ad Watch built in...

Should i really have these programmes running at the same time? i'm scared of conflict between Avast and Ad Aware/Ad Watch!?

Thanks

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Avast 4.8 Home Edition with Ad Aware 2007 Pro Version?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 01:46:47 PM »
Hi clairey

You do have anti-spyware software. avast! 4.8.

"All-inclusive and comprehensive protection FREE avast! antivirus Home Edition includes ANTI-SPYWARE protection, certified by the West Coast Labs Checkmark process, and ANTI-ROOTKIT detection based on the best-in class GMER technology. No additional purchase is required."

If you want extra spyware-specific protection, then ad-aware/ad-watch should not conflict with avast! (I haven't tried it myself) but the combination will make your PC slower.

I have nothing against Ad-aware but I prefer MBAM or SAS.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

clairey

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 01:53:50 PM »
oh i didnt realise it was built in to avast!

thankyou for your advice! its very much appreciated =]

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 02:08:16 PM »
No problemo.  8)
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 02:15:50 PM »
Ad-Aware has become a bit bloated of late and as it only targets advertising threats I fear that its time has come and gone.

I agree that MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware are the better malware removal and prevention applications.

twl845

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:54:33 PM »
Ad-Aware has become a bit bloated of late and as it only targets advertising threats I fear that its time has come and gone.

I agree that MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware are the better malware removal and prevention applications.
That's true about Ad-Aware only finding adware as a rule. The other thing as you pointed out is it is always running in the background. MBAM and SAS are the best as noted, and I have SAS running real time with MBAM on demand.  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 04:32:59 PM »
<snip>
I have avast 4.8 home edition (and ive used avast for years!) but i recently realised i have no anti spyware software, so i got Ad Aware 2007 Pro edition, which has this Ad Watch built in...

Should i really have these programmes running at the same time? i'm scared of conflict between Avast and Ad Aware/Ad Watch!?
<snip>

Whilst there shouldn't be any conflict (unless adwatch takes a dislike to ashDisp.exe, the avast icon), the real issue is the worth of AdAware. This once used to be a good program, but it really hasn't kept pace with developements and there are many better applications. Not only that many of them are free such as SAS and MBAM, I too paid the small sum for a lifetime licence for SAS Pro.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:46:14 PM »
Another vote to MBAM and SuperAntispyware and another thumb down for Adaware.
The best things in life are free.

ronnycopeh

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:01:36 PM »
I use both SAS and ST paid versions and MBAM on demand with no problems

Styx

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 02:26:20 AM »
Many ways to go,,, see my tagline at bottom.

gery

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 09:15:46 PM »
I think Avast +Sas or MBAM free would be more then enough for protection . I wouldn't touch AD aware even if they gave the pro for free for it jas proven in my experience that it never found more then a few cookies .Avast will protect in real time and the second opinion from SAS and MBAM.
good luck  8) 8) 8)