Author Topic: Paid Upgrade Pop-Ups  (Read 3057 times)

jseddon

Paid Upgrade Pop-Ups
« on: May 24, 2012, 12:24:31 AM »
I'm getting really tired of all the paid upgrade pop-ups I've been getting lately.  Every couple of days, there seems to be some special offer that they want me to buy.  And to make it worse, the pop-ups don't abide by the rules set for the regular system pop-ups; they don't go away on their own if I ignore them.

I am well aware of the pro version, and have had ample opportunity to purchase it.  I am reminded whenever my free license runs out.  I have the banner in the options dialogue when I change settings or run manual scans.  Please tell me that there's some way I can convince the program to back the heck off, or I may not want the FREE version any more.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Paid Upgrade Pop-Ups
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:48:47 AM »
The latest pop-up was for a new free protection for your Android ready to download. There is a x to close that message in the right hand corner.
Apart form the occasional statistical pop-up I have not seen much annoying lately. Only because selling their paid version avast can run their free version for the masses. And then again some start to be easily irritated. Count your blessings when looking at numerous browser tracking cookies, but then you hear no one about that,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

jseddon

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:31:36 AM »
I've used Avast for more than six years, but it's only been the last six months that I've been getting this many "please buy the pro version" pop-ups.  I don't deny that it is very effective, but it's also becoming quite badgering.

So yes, congratulations.  The free version is getting closer to driving me away than to making a purchase.

lunghd

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:30:18 AM »
I've used Avast for more than six years, but it's only been the last six months that I've been getting this many "please buy the pro version" pop-ups.  I don't deny that it is very effective, but it's also becoming quite badgering.

So yes, congratulations.  The free version is getting closer to driving me away than to making a purchase.

Ditto. Not impressed by the "Buy this wonderful product you don't want!" pitch. I -would- pay for a slim, lean, bloat-free AV program. Had AVG for years until they bloated it up by adding so many features that it was checking so see if we had toilet paper in the linen closet.

Avast is bloating up too but they have made it relatively easy to disable any feature you don't want... It's the darned virus update balloon that annoys the heck outta me - there seems to be no way to disable that one & changing the time to zero seconds just means it will pop up and stay there until you 'x' it out. (Sure - someone will pop up with a "it's easy! just follow these ten hidden steps and ... I want one step - on or off, for each alert balloon.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:44:28 AM »
It's the darned virus update balloon that annoys the heck outta me - there seems to be no way to disable that one & changing the time to zero seconds just means it will pop up and stay there until you 'x' it out. (Sure - someone will pop up with a "it's easy! just follow these ten hidden steps and ... I want one step - on or off, for each alert balloon.
Open settings - silent/gaming mode, tick the box and no more popups :)

RichLatta

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:56:17 PM »
What if I want the pop up but I want it to be silent?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:04:08 AM »
You can disable all sounds or specific sounds on.

Avast > Settings > Sounds > Enable Avast Sounds > Untick that.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

RichLatta

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 04:31:45 AM »
Thanks!