Author Topic: False positive on my website  (Read 2323 times)

moosegal

False positive on my website
« on: October 04, 2013, 05:46:44 AM »
There is a false positive on my wordpress and I can not log into my control panel because I am completely blocked out.  I know this is a false positive because I scanned it at VirusTotal.com and people using AVG and McAfee have no problem accessing my pages.  I do not like getting a mark on my reputation and I have changed the name of my wordpress folder and it is now off line.  How long before this is rectified? I have sent the report only minutes ago using the contact form.  At the moment the only way to test is by using google search (moosegal.com/moosedroppings) and cached view.  Being locked out also means that if there really had been a virus, I could not get to it to remove it thanks to my avast antivirus.   >:(  Wee bit of flaw, no over-ride button. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: False positive on my website
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 05:55:26 AM »
It is a problem with the webshield.
Since you have it reported, have patience.
It will be fixed by the people from Avast.
Make sure you have the latest version of WordPress installed.

moosegal

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:03:13 AM »
Just reloaded it in the server and shut down my antivirus.  Got into my control panel and took the latest update.  Also emptied my pending comments.  I have checked each and every file for anything that shouldn't be there.  I will take it back off line for next few days.  Unfortunately I can not remove cached pages from google search engine to wait for problem to be fixed.   :(  Thank you for your quick reply. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:16:38 AM »
I suggest not to take it offline since there still are people who can access it.
Why disappoint them when not needed?
There is no need for that in my opinion.

And there is no need to disable Avast, just disabling the webshield temporarily should allow you (and the visitors) to access that part of the website just fine.
Ofcourse don't forget to enable it again after the next update  ;)

moosegal

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 07:36:51 AM »
Would love to leave it up, however, people with avast installed on machine that is not aware it is a false positive would think I am trying to give them a virus.  I have a down for maintenance page I will put up.  Eventually I will create my own template and eliminate wordpress completely.  Wordpress and my server provider have issues every time the server undergoes security changes.   Wordpress has been a bit of a thorn in my side. 

Again thank you for your quick response. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 07:42:20 AM »
Just a thought, create a page where you mention the problem and tell people to disable the webshield temporarily (if they use Avast) and when they click on a "continue button" they will be send to the WordPress section. It is ofcourse a workaround, but people will be able to access the section just fine.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
Hi moosegal and Eddy,

As the OP stated that his WP version was outdated at time of detection, there is reason to be concerned.
Furthermore the OP never gave a broken link to the website involved, like that checked first.
Example: http://www.trustmyweb.com/reviews/moosegal.com & http://scanurl.net/?u=moosegal.com&uesb=Check+This+URL#results
Disabling one of the avast shields is an advice I would hesitate to give under these circumstances.
The avast! shields are an integrate part of overall av online protection,
I am not to lower "the visor of my protecting helmet"
AVG and McAfee not flagging is not a guarantee this is a false positive.
Like to see a confirmation first (maybe an avast team member, like Milos, could give the final word on this)
Kernel Wordpress flaws and bugs are known soon to be patched,
but various themes and plug-ins are known not to be coded with security as a first priority.
Too much excessive system information and attackers know what to abuse and you are "cat's food"....
Strange is I see no alerts going to htxp://www.moosegal.com/moose/index
is that the uri that is being flagged? At moosedroppings I get:
"Sorry!  We are down for a long overdue maintenance.
Please come back and check again.
Expected date of maintenance completion:
October 10, 2013" (no avast! Webshield alerts)

polonus
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:13:39 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!