Author Topic: registration  (Read 4949 times)

vince5223

registration
« on: March 29, 2010, 02:13:24 PM »
Hello:

Recently I upgraded Avast from ver. 4 to ver. 5.  As I recall from version four I was issued a registration number to insert into the program that makes it valid for at least one year or a bit more. In Avast version 5 I never received this number. Do I need this number?  But the funny thing is for some reason my new Avast seems to working fine without it. So my stupid question is how important is this number and do I really need it?  Thanks for listening.

vince

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: registration
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »
What is shown in the Maintenance tab of the Avast UI?
Are you registered?
If so, you don't need any license now, but:

should by any circumstance you need to reinstall on a fresh system, you do need the license.avastlic file.

You can go to www.avast.com/resend-license, fill out the blanks and your license will be resubmitted to you. You must however use the exact email-adress you used for registering the version 4.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

vince5223

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »
In the maintenance tab it shows when the current registration will expire and date of registration but nowhere is a place shown for a registration number.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 03:20:07 PM »
When will it expire? Does it correspond to the timeframe you had left on your 4.8 registration? If so, everything is fine. However, you can still go to that specified web-site and have your license resend to you.

Check Maintenance -> Subscription page. That is where you would have to enter registration info. (I think you don't have to atm, as you seem to be registered already)
Free MBAM Clear

vince5223

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »
It tells me it will expire one year from the date I downloaded Avast 5 which is 3/19.  There is no reference to my avast 4. Quick note is that avast 4 neve told me about an upcoming beta version. I was told by a friend that it was out so I uninstalled the old for the new. The only other link on my maintenance tab is the option to upgrade to avast pro.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 05:59:34 PM »
So, where is the problem?
It is registered for 1 year, right?
About 2 weeks before that date, you will be prompted by avast to renew the registration. That will then be done on the UI, Maintenance page. No need for emails anymore. ;-)
Free MBAM Clear

vince5223

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:31:18 PM »
OK

There is no blank space showing for where the license key should be. I re-registered avast and they sent me the key for avast 5 but opening the registration page shows me no slot. So I decided to uninstall avast and do a complete installation.  Avast won't let me uninstall due to an error upon the first installation. How do I uninstall the program and start fresh.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:32 PM »
Here you go.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57646.msg485911#msg485911

You don't need to register on the avast website! It is done in the UI in Avast 5. Be sure to follow the above steps.
Free MBAM Clear

jrehner

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
Yeah Avast 4.8 had the license info under About Avast along with the duration of the auto updates but Avast 5 under About Avast has a separate category Maintenance and there u will find your Customer # and the length of time remaining but they no longer have license info there and u don't need it with Avast 5. So if u see Active under ur subscription Status on the Maintenance page and see the proper time remaining for ur auto updates, then u b done...

vince5223

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »
OK

I re-installed and it seems to have corrected any uninstall issues and it tells me that I am registered and current. It must have retrieved info from the registry and likes what it sees. Upon re-installing I came upon the registration page and inserted name,email etc..  but nowhere did it ask me for any license number. So what's the purpose of getting the number in the first place? Bottom line is it seems to be working great and thanks to all who contributed.

vince

jrehner

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 05:30:32 PM »
well the way I figure it--for the 4.--versions u did need a key and that info could be found in About Avast but with the new Avast 5 Pro what they use is a little app that checks avast in your computer and then automatically registers you again--tech support in their email called it a key but u don't have to enter it anwhere... so once I had avast 5 pro in my computer and I opened the attachment that tech sent me it operated automatically and updated the info in Subscription in Avast---U notice that u have a customer # now--lol

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 08:17:30 PM »
It's not an app. It is just a pure text file, nothing more. Like e.g. an .ini file.
You can view and change (which is not advisable, to say the least ::) ) the content with the editor.
Free MBAM Clear