Author Topic: Avast Rescue Disc  (Read 41117 times)

meepo88

Avast Rescue Disc
« on: April 16, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know a bit about this Rescue Disc..

1. I purchased Avast Internet Security a few months back, is it still possible for me to order a rescue disc?

2. When I click more info about a recovery disc it says "avast! Rescue Disc enables boot-up of crashed PCs and provides numerous recovery options, as well giving you back-up copies of your avast! program installation files. Gain unlimited access to the "back door" of your Windows PC."

I wish to know if its a totally bootable disc and if my pc crashes whether I can still access my Hard drive and back up the data to a USB Drive..

Dieselman

Re: Avast Rescue Disc
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:34:07 PM »
There is no real up to date Avast boot disk. Hopefully one day there is. Kaspersky makes a really nice recovery cd tool and its free. Also having a system image to boot into with a repair disk is also your best option.

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

If you need help setting this up let me know. ImgBurn is the best tool for mounting the ISO.

meepo88

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 03:37:35 PM »
Thanks Dieselman! Just wanted to know more about Avast Rescue disc.. like you said hopefully there will be an up-to-date rescue disc from Avast..

Dieselman

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »
The thread is right here but also you gotta pay for it. The GUI is not all that either. Dr.Web also has a rescue cd kit as well as Avira and AVG. Come on Avast get with the times. Norton has a bootable repair disk also but only with a valid subscription.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=6.0

Nesivos

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
There is no real up to date Avast boot disk. Hopefully one day there is. Kaspersky makes a really nice recovery cd tool and its free. Also having a system image to boot into with a repair disk is also your best option.

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

If you need help setting this up let me know. ImgBurn is the best tool for mounting the ISO.

If you are using Windows 7 you don't need to create an ISO image.

1.  Make a Windows Repair Disk   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc
2.  When you use the Windows backup include "system image" in the backup
3.  Windows will back up to an external drive, usually a USB drive
4.  If you need to recover your system you can boot in safe mode and then go the Repair.

I knows this works because I just had to do it.

I imagine, though I haven't had to use it that if you can't boot into the safe mode just boot into Settings change it so the computer boots from the Rapair disk and it should be able to restore from a backed up system image.

Messing with ISO files is complicated for the average user.

Or you can restore you system using the "Last Known Good Configuration" feature

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

JMO
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:51:20 PM by Nesivos »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »
There is an avast Rescue Disk but it is reserved to avast resellers for 9,99 dollars as far I know.

Rescue CD's:
1. G Data BootCD
2. Dr. Web
3. Avira
4. BitDefender
5. Kaspersky
6. F-Secure
7. Vba32 Rescue

You can check also this comparison article.

Integrate Multiple Antivirus Rescue Disk into One Single Disc or USB Flash Drive with SARDU. The most compreensive cleaning CD.
The best things in life are free.

Dieselman

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 03:49:50 PM »
Nesivos................I was referring to using Kaspersky which needs an ISO image. And since we do not know the users OS mentioning Windows Backup is not necessary. System Restore does not remove malware. But mounting a clean image does.

meepo88

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 03:54:19 PM »
Wow thanks for all the information guys!! VERY useful  :) I was thinking of buying an Avast rescue disc which is why I asked. But from the link Tech gave, its not among the top 14...

meepo88

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
There is an avast Rescue Disk but it is reserved to avast resellers for 9,99 dollars as far I know.

Rescue CD's:
1. G Data BootCD
2. Dr. Web
3. Avira
4. BitDefender
5. Kaspersky
6. F-Secure
7. Vba32 Rescue

You can check also this comparison article.

Integrate Multiple Antivirus Rescue Disk into One Single Disc or USB Flash Drive with SARDU. The most compreensive cleaning CD.

Are these free to download and use?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »
But from the link Tech gave, its not among the top 14...
And maybe it isn't. They're not being unfair.
avast offers its original boot time scanning instead of rescue cd.
The best things in life are free.

Dieselman

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
If you are wondering if there free just click on them.

meepo88

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »
If you are wondering if there free just click on them.

Its free to download, but not sure if they will ask for license keys later on which is why I asked since you guys have much more experience than I do..

Dieselman

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
No they do not. Read the various sites. Norton reqiures a valid license which is the reason he did not provide the link. The Kaspersky Rescue CD is the best. It also includes a Linux browser. Its like a little OS rolled into one.

Joe S

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »
Depending what you want there also things like UBCD For Windows http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm that you can customize. Most backup software like Acronis true Image also have a rescue CD to restore image.
Joe