Author Topic: Stopping Web Shield?  (Read 12099 times)

vicsant

Stopping Web Shield?
« on: March 19, 2010, 03:18:49 AM »
I just installed Avast 5 Free Edition.....

At first, I couldn't surf the web after the install, until I discovered that I have to stop the Web Shield module for me to surf?

Is this the standard procedure while surfing?  Will I have to stop the web shield permanently?

Please advise.

???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Stopping Web Shield?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 03:53:35 AM »
No it is not as the web shield is meant to protect you whilst surfing the web.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

vicsant

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:02:22 AM »
No it is not as the web shield is meant to protect you whilst surfing the web.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Hi David,

When I still had Avast 4 Free Ed., I didn't have this problem. It's only when I installed v5 that I couldn't surf. Btw, I also disabled Windows firewall, but I still can't access the web with avast web shield running.

Any other settings I should check?

Thanks.

vicsant

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:16:33 AM »
I still cannot access the web with Web Shield started. I have to  stop the module, then things are ok.

Didn't have this problems with version 4.

Hope someone can suggest a solution....or should I just revert back to version 4.

Btw, my firewall is disabled....so I don't think the problem is there.

Thanks.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:33:52 AM »
What is your operating system and Service Pack level so that futher assistance can be offered.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
the webshield can definitely block all browsing; just switch it off and see that you got to wait a little while before being able to connect again to any site. I also suspect it from doing the same when resuming my system from sleep mode. The second issue is new, might have come with 462...I read in another thread that Tech had currently some issues with the webshield too + many other users who suddenly can't browse the web at all as long as the web shield is on. My issue isn't that bad...yet.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 03:15:06 PM »
Do you use a proxy to connect to the internet ?

If not I would suggest a clean reinstall, just to ensure there are no remnants of 4.8:
Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.462 http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and save it to your HDD (if you didn't save it before), somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here ensure you get the version5 one (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0), aswClear5.exe and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

vicsant

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 01:47:44 AM »
the webshield can definitely block all browsing; just switch it off and see that you got to wait a little while before being able to connect again to any site. I also suspect it from doing the same when resuming my system from sleep mode. The second issue is new, might have come with 462...I read in another thread that Tech had currently some issues with the webshield too + many other users who suddenly can't browse the web at all as long as the web shield is on. My issue isn't that bad...yet.

Thanks. Would an uninstall and a clean install of version 5 solve the problems as David suggests?  Or is this a software bug that needs to be fixed first?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 01:55:22 AM »
You didn't answer the firewall question ?
Some firewalls when disabled block outbound access so that could also be an issue.

If we can rule out the firewall then there are other things which can be checked.

As to will a clean reinstall in the order listed resolve it for you, I don't know for certain. What I do know is if you don't try it 'you' will never know.

vicsant

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 04:11:10 AM »
You didn't answer the firewall question ?
Some firewalls when disabled block outbound access so that could also be an issue.

If we can rule out the firewall then there are other things which can be checked.

As to will a clean reinstall in the order listed resolve it for you, I don't know for certain. What I do know is if you don't try it 'you' will never know.

Hi Dave,

Actually I answered that my firewall is disabled (post #4).  I've had the firewall disabled while still running avast v.4, and I didn't have any problems connecting to the web, until I installed v.5 because I kept getting a pop-up message that my v.4 subscription was about to expire on April 1. So I went ahead and downloaded v.5, and installed it (the installation automatically removed v.4).

After rebooting, I was pleased with the new interface, but when I opened my browser (Opera 10), I couldn't connect to the web. At first, I thought it was Opera's fault, so I tried Firefox...and same result....no internet connection.

After a little head scratching on my part, I right clicked the avast icon, saw the avast! shield control and the options to disable. I clicked the disable for 10 minutes, and surprise, I got internet connection once again in Opera and Firefox.  ;D

But after 10 minutes, when shield control became active again, I lost my web connection.  >:(

Now, I have Web Shield permanently disabled but the other controls still active... ::)

There was a reply also posted to this thread by Logos that other users are having the same problem, so I'm wondering if this is a software bug that has to be fixed by avast tech support.

Thanks for your patience. I'd really like to stick with v.5 and have Web Shield running too. Btw, my OS is WinXP, SP3.
 :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 04:22:21 AM »
The fact that it is disabled doesn't answer the question what is your firewall, which is what was asked.

Sesame

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 04:28:22 AM »
 :-[  Then, DavidR was right.  One of the most common "solutions" for blocked Web Shield for the unnecessarily prolonged thread, then.

The post is deleted since it turned out irrelevant.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:05:11 AM by Rumpel »

vicsant

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 04:43:50 AM »
The fact that it is disabled doesn't answer the question what is your firewall, which is what was asked.

I use Comodo....and you're right, that although I had it disabled, it was still blocking avastSvc.exe somehow. It now has given avastSvc.exe permission to access the web, and everything seems to be working.....Web Shield is enabled.

Many, many thanks again!  8)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 09:41:27 AM »
I would advise people not to install Avast 5 over Avast 4........  >:(

It is better to do a clean install by uninstalling version 4 and installing version 5....

Then, Avast 5 will work very smoothly....

I had many problems when I upgraded from 4 to 5 with Web connectivity and stuff like that....

But I did a clean install and everything works fine.... ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:43:06 AM by Chris Thomas »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »

I use Comodo....and you're right, that although I had it disabled, it was still blocking avastSvc.exe somehow. It now has given avastSvc.exe permission to access the web, and everything seems to be working.....Web Shield is enabled.

Many, many thanks again!  8)

You're welcome, now that wasn't too painful was it ;D