Author Topic: Possible malware preventing update?  (Read 3183 times)

zeidrich

Possible malware preventing update?
« on: May 20, 2011, 02:28:51 AM »
I just installed Avast after AVG couldn't update the antivirus definitions.  Now the same thing happens with Avast.  It says when I try a manual update that "the installation for Avast 4 could not be identified."

My computer also freezes randomly with the mouse able to move, and the music from iTunes still playing.  This happens when I start the computer the first time, after a reboot, it's fine.  I don't know if it's related, but I thought it was worth noting.

I tried to search for a malicious program in the Task Manager and HijackThis from Trend Micro, but couldn't find anything worth noting.  Could a second pair of eyes take a look?

http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/55853760?access_key=key-5h8gse4igryafk66s39

marc-d-l

Re: Possible malware preventing update?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:52:33 AM »
Have you used  a cleaning tool to uninstall AVG ? Also try Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.What else are you running?

zeidrich

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:04:22 AM »
I'm running Malwarebytes right now.  I'll edit this post when it finishes.  Been running for over an hour now.

I used Revo Uninstaller to remove AVG.

Programs:

ZoneAlarm Firewall (Free)
Advanced System Care 4
Google Chrome
Mozilla Firefox
Secunia PSI

Runes of Magic
Crysis 2
World of Tanks
Mass Effect
StarCraft
Battlefield Bad Company

SolidWorks
Photoshop
Matlab

Ventrillo

Microsoft Office

Windows XP SP3

Edit: Malwarebytes showed 1 infection (RiskWare.Tool.HCK) Will restart computer to check if it was the cause of the problem.

Edit: Edit: Still can't update.  Removed the above infection and did not solve the problem.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:40:32 AM by zeidrich »

zeidrich

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 04:02:16 AM »
Reinstalled Avast and tried to update.  It stuck on Step 1: Initializing.  Manual patch does not work.

I tried to register the product and it doesn't work either.  I fill in the information, but I don't receive the registration license.  It says "system cannot find the file specified."

Tried repairing the installation through the Control Panel. Can't even uninstall it.  Pressing the Change/Remove button does nothing.

The Virus Definition version is 110510-0 released on 05/10/2011.  Avast Free version 6.0.0
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:38:35 AM by zeidrich »

marc-d-l

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:12:48 AM »
Re download avast and save to file.
Download Avg removal tool and run
download avast removal tool and run.
reinstall avast.
you might want to unplug your internet until you install avast.After you reinstall avast restart your pc.

zeidrich

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:31:13 AM »
This worked perfectly.  Updates and installation work fine now.

Thank you very much!  I really appreciate it.  You are a testament of all good things in mankind. ;D