Author Topic: Outlook 2007 & Avast 4.8.1201: Better than previous Avast version? Or not?  (Read 3987 times)

eieio

Hello All:

I have been using Avast for about 2 years now and, so far, cross my fingers, Avast has performed.   This is despite of some forum members' claim that the virus detection rate is surprisingly low.

Nevertheless, for the past several months, I have seen the Avast Plug in for Outlook to cause significant issues and there are some mornings that Outlook cannot open!  It would take several tries and there's the danger of some database corruption as well!    As Outlook is extraordinarily popular, I would have thought that special attention would have been paid to correct this Avast Outlook Plug in situation in order to rectify whatever issues there were.

This morning, my Outlook 2007, once again, would not open and it is due to some conflict with the Avast Plug in.

I recall having seen a notice pop up over the last several days, possibly even a week or so, roughly, that there's a new Avast update so I thought that i'd do a reboot first, then update Avast, and hopefully the current, latest version of Avast, version 4.8.1201 would have this "Avast Outlook Plug in" issues resolved.

Well...the update went smoothly, and, as required, a reboot was performed immediately after the Avast update was complete.    Upon rebooting, i opened my Outlook 2007 up and it did open with no issues - whew!!    Yet, I noticed one important clue/change/difference:

DURING THE OPENING OF OUTLOOK 2007, WHILE THE MICROSOFT OUTLOOK LOGO WAS ON SCREEN, THERE USED TO BE AN AVAST OUTLOOK PLUG IN LOGO AS WELL,  but no longer!    I'm wondering if I had done something wrong?   or did Avast / Alwil change the "look" and "interface" to eliminate the pop up logo during the opening up of Outlook 2007?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Additionally, is anyone able to shed any light on how well or not well the new Avast 4.8.1201 is running with, coexisting with, working with, and scanning Outlook 2007?     This is especially crucial as I use Outlook daily and the information in Outlook is very important to me, plus i'd like to know that the latest version of Avast is working as well as they traditionally have been.

Thank you all in advance for anticipated information/comments/advice!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
It's not the solution, but disable Outlook plugin into avast providers settings.
Open Outlook, close it after.
Enable plugin again.
Will it open correctly next time?

After that, make sure the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook:
Outlook 2007 > Tools > Trust center > Add-inns > Manage Disabled items.

Did you have any other antivirus before avast?
Which firewall do you use?
The best things in life are free.

foreverlazy

I have the latest version of Avast, and I'm still having problems in Outlook 2007 unless I disable the plug-in.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I have the latest version of Avast, and I'm still having problems in Outlook 2007 unless I disable the plug-in.
Check the folder <avast>\data\log
Are there any files called unpXXXX (where XXXX is a random number) or *.mdmp there?
If so, send them to vlk (at) avast.com
They may contain more information about the problem (maybe a link to this thread).

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the plugin problems... sorry.
The best things in life are free.