Author Topic: One million Americans bought a new computer because the previous one had spyware  (Read 7023 times)

neal62

As I work part time for an Internet provider I get all kinds of phone calls. Most of the ones that have problems with spyware etc don't have a clue as to even what spyware, (Malware) is. It's really sad when I see that most of these folks that call are only interested in getting on line and usually don't care about taking and getting proper protection for their machines.

Darkmage

I think the reasons for *that* are summed up here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T-TA57L0kuc

:D

rdmaloyjr

When you only said that ST is an option while affirming my other suggestions, it was like ignoring ST.

What I said was:

Spyware Terminator is [an] option, as are these:

There is nothing in that sentence that gives extra weight to any of the options: SpywareTerminator, AVG and Spybot.
Frank,
If I've mistaken you, I apologize.

The two points I'm trying to make are:
1) Spyware infections don't have to be as widespread as they are, the tools needed are available & two are free, no excuses.

2) We malware fighters aren't emphasizing it enough.

VikingBabe

Not surprised.  I mean, where has commonsense gone to? 

Although I did learn some programing in the early 70s while in college.  Did not started using computers in 1996 for browsing and  historical research (living history re enactor) It is through helping admin an official PC game website and forums for eight years,  that I learn most of my computer knowledge, though.  Have to, to keep up on what is going on with computer games and CPUs in general.   Including learning about spyware, malware,  worms and all the other narsties that have since invaded our space since those early Internet days. 

In my forums, and in others, I see questions from gamers who haven't a clue why their computers are running badly.  Or get an error message.  The first thing any moderator asks is "Have you scanned for any spy/malware?" and/or "Have you scanned for viruses? with a return reply of "No, I haven't".  Then next ....."Yes, I found some, cleaned them out and now the game works!"

But saying this, it has been my innate habit that IF I have a problem or question about anything, I will hunt sources down until an answer is found.  With computers, it is knowing where to go and what to do to fix the problem.   I am not a complete "geek" so it is also knowing your limitations...and would rather ask or take my computer to a tech rather than screw something up.

Computers for me are not just "throwaway" things...they are big investments.  I cannot just "chuck " one out the window because it doesn't work "right".