Author Topic: How to get rid of vgrabber???  (Read 16186 times)

soskie12

Re: How to get rid of vgrabber???
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 02:19:19 AM »
But what do you think the IP message meant? It haven't said anything so I guess everything is ok! Thanks for all the help!

jeffce

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 04:01:32 AM »
Hi,

It's hard to say what exactly was causing the message you were getting.....

Let's get some updates and also make sure nothing is hiding in there still.

I see that your Java software is out of date.  Please go to Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> uninstall all versions of Java.

Now download and install the newest version from here >> http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
-------------

Clear Java Cache

See this page for instructions on how to clear java's cache.

Go into the Control Panel and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup)
  • Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.
  • There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Leave ALL 3 Checked
      Downloaded Applets
      Downloaded Applications
      Other Files
    • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
    Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
    • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
    ----------

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Right-click and Run as Administrator mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan as shown below.

• When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.

The log can also be found here:

Windows 2000 & Windows XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Windows Vista & Win7:
    C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
    ----------

ESET Online Scanner

Go here to run an online scannner from ESET. Windows Vista/Windows 7 users will need to right click on their Internet Explorer shortcut, and select Run as Administrator
    • Note: For browsers other than Internet Explorer, you will be prompted to download and install esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe. Click on the link and save the file to a convenient location. Double click on it to install and a new window will open. Follow the prompts.
    • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
    • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
    • Click Start
    • When asked, allow the activex control to install
    • Click Start
    • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
    • Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
    • Click Scan
    • Wait for the scan to finish
    • When the scan is done, if it shows a screen that says "Threats found!", then click "List of found threats", and then click "Export to text file..."
    • Save that text file on your desktop. Attach the contents of that log as a reply to this topic.
    • Close the ESET online scan, and let me know how things are now.
    ----------

soskie12

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 05:14:08 PM »
    Sorry that it took me so long!!!I hope you can still help! There's a threat found!!! Here are the reports:

jeffce

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »
    Let's remove that....

First open an elevated command prompt > Click Start and type cmd in Start Search.
    When cmd.exe populates above, right click it and select Run as Administrator to open an elevated command prompt.

Copy the contents of the code box > right click in the command window and select paste
    Code: [Select]
    del C:\Users\milca\Downloads\movie_player_d998173.exe
    Press Enter
    Close the Command Prompt window.

In your next reply please let me know how your system is running.  :)

soskie12

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
    I don't know if I did the process correctly  :-\  When I Paste the Code to the box, it was supposed to show a message or something? I don't know much about computers. Because I paste it, press enter and closed it and it didn't do anything else! I just want to know if I did something wrong!?

jeffce

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 08:17:03 PM »
    Nope...that is all there is.  :)

How is your system running? 

soskie12

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 08:53:44 PM »
    Everything is running ok!!!! Thanks a lot!   ;)

jeffce

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 01:24:34 AM »
    Everything is running ok!!!! Thanks a lot!
    :)
    ----------

Providing there are no other malware related problems...

IT APPEARS THAT YOUR LOGS ARE NOW CLEAN   SO LETS DO A COUPLE OF THINGS TO WRAP THIS UP!!

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees.  As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.
    ----------

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Press the Windows key + R and this will open the Run box. Copy/paste the following text into the Run box as shown and click OK.
      Combofix /Uninstall
      (Note: There is a space between the ..X and the /U that needs to be there.)

----------

Clean up with OTL:
    • Right-click and Run as Administrator OTL.exe to start the program.
    • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
    • On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
    • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
    ----------

Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop.
    If you didn't already have it I would keep Malwarebytes AntiMalware though.

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

1. Internet Explorer.  Even if you don't use it as your main browser it should be kept up-to-date because that is the browser Windows uses for updates.
    Make your Internet Explorer more secure
    - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
    2. FireFox.  If you use Firefox, I recommend installing the following add-ons to help make your Firefox browser more secure:
    NoScript
    AdBlock Plus

3. Enable Protected Mode in Internet Explorer.  This helps Windows Vista users stay more protected from attack by running Internet Explorer with restricted privileges as well as reducing the ability to write, alter or destroy data on your system or install malicious code.  To make sure this is running follow these steps:
    • Open Internet Explorer
    • Click on Tools > Internet Options
    • Press Security tab
    • Select Internet zone then place check next to Enable Protected Mode if not already done
    • Do the same for Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites and then press Apply
    • Restart Internet Explorer and in the bottom right corner of your screen you will see Protected Mode: On showing you it is enabled.
    4. Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis.  With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

5. Firewall
    Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.  I would personally only recommend using one of the following two below:
    Online Armor Free
    Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free

6. Make sure you keep your Windows OS currentWindows XP users can visit Windows update   regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems.  Without these you are leaving the back door open.

7. WOT (Web of Trust) As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites.  WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.

8.Finally, I strongly recommend that you read How to Prevent Malware found here and also PC Safety and Security - What Do I Need?.

Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.