Author Topic: avast 5 removal tool  (Read 248303 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast 5 removal tool
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 11:59:59 AM »
I've D/L v. 5, but after reading the forums and posts at VirtualDr.com, I'm waiting. If this continues, I'll return to AVG.
Strange... No problems with the last 3 stable versions released of avast 5...

Will there still be definitions issued for v. 4.8?
You can use the program and the definitions will be updated automatically.
You can also download them off-line.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »
I have never found Revo to clear absolutely all Registry entries, although in somes cases certainly could be possible when uninstalling a cleverly written program.
+1 It's not the panacea...

Legacy keys are managed by Windows and do not prevent other antivirus installation.

fabachi

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »
Hello, good morning! I'm new to this forum, I do not know if this is the topic
adequate to express this doubt ... Recently my Avast Home
Edition 4.8 began asking license key, but all the keys that
I could on the site were invalid to the system validation
Avast ... It then every time I connected the laptop to open the System
Operational, appeared the message Invalid License Key.
4 uninstalled Avast and installed Avast Home Edition 5, and registered
upgraded, but the message from Avast 4 on the invalid key even
appears, what can I do? Pra completely disable my Avast
laptop to install the version 5 again?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 03:59:02 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

zfactor

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 05:44:49 AM »
why does the tool not FULLY remove all previous settings? after a reinstall some firewall settings are remaining...

mrhengrasmee

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »
Worked fine to me too, Thanks for the link of avast 5 removal tool.

zfactor

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 02:08:26 PM »
please note that this tool DOES NOT remove the program data alwill folder. so some of the previous settings will remain unless you manually delete that folder. this tool SHOULD remove ALL traces imo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »
please note that this tool DOES NOT remove the program data alwill folder. so some of the previous settings will remain unless you manually delete that folder. this tool SHOULD remove ALL traces imo
+1

Cognus

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »
Will this tool remove the hidden Blacklist & Whitelist?   ???

2bad

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 04:56:22 AM »
I’m lost.  I ran Norman Data Defense for a long time.  But they’re pricey.  So, I installed Avast Free Home version about two weeks ago and set Norman to stop on-demand and on-access scanning.  I was trying not to completely uninstall it until I was confident Avast was working.  Things seemed to be OK.  Avast was updating automatically.  I uninstalled Norman.  Then Avast immediately would not work.  I get this error window:

red circle with a white X in it then this text:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

So, I tried re-installing.  but the only option the program offered was an uninstall.  I let it do that.  Then running it again would let me install.  Then I keep getting the same error.  So I looked here at the forum and saw there was a separate uninstaller.  I ran the uninstaller from Safe Mode as instructed, then installed again.  Same problem/same error.  So I read on.  As suggested I tried RevoUninstaller.  It said it found 4 things to delete. – finished – reinstalled same problem.  No matter what I do I keep getting:
“This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.”  I’m going around in circles.   >:( What should I do?

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 05:54:11 AM »
Okay start from the beginning

How have you uninstalled Norman? Is there a correct uninstall tool for this program? Try this one -
http://www.norman.com/support/support_tools/uninstall_tool/en

Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

BCDarren

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 07:16:15 AM »
Many thanks for this, some of the people help over the phone can't see or hear well, and this will make it faster and easier than the ad-remove programs tool in windows.

I don't mind the work, but, I don't like to look bad for recommending a program that turns bad.

I am fully read for giving feedback if avast wants it for the 30 years experience in repairs, and building specialized systems for handicapped and special needs.

For those who set up the program update feature to auto, I would hope avast can trigger a double check in the scripting to intervene and give enough info so people who can't handle the recovery on their own will say no and keep what they have.

I do want to thank avast for the years excellence, and I pray they keep it up, and get back inline with the way things were.

tHANK you ja73, I am disabled as well and this is driving me up a wall..why did hey release this so soon?  I downloaded it from Avast! website...now its gone..oh, dear..I have no antivirus and cannot get this mess off my machine..it says it is in use...and that is after all the uninstallers were run and the machine restarted...what a mess they created.
sunbirdbudz
I agree, Sunbirdbudz, I too am disabled and loved Avast for years. But When 5 came out I jumped in. Installed it over my 4.8, But today i am here looking to Unistall it as I got the old antiexe virus and I found it in a Scan, I went to "Show Resuts" and I could not remove it or Delete it as the Apply Button was Grayed out, so now I am trying to Remove AntiEXE and once I do - I am going to remove Avast 5 and go with another one like, AVG or Comdo's or aShmapoo's new AV, But I should have never downloaded to 5. Oh, Avast 5 alerts you and then gives you no way to remove it. What Mess Avast is now. I see a lot of posts on Removing it, so I think I will agree and do the Same. forget Avast and go else where. Yes what a Mess Avast has creared. To remove a Virus you Have to pay for the Upgrade and it only Removes a selected few and then you have to Buy the real Expensive one to Remove Antiexe ? I cannot see how it bypassed my Avast. But I will stop here and and remove the Avast Mess too. It stoped everything else but all you need is one and more will come.  And Avast says "it have 1 Million users," Right ?! They mean they HAD one Miillion users...

2bad

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 07:46:23 AM »
Okay start from the beginning

How have you uninstalled Norman? Is there a correct uninstall tool for this program? Try this one -
http://www.norman.com/support/support_tools/uninstall_tool/en

Thanks for the suggestion, but even on that page for which you sent the link, the first method Norman  recommends to uninstall is to use Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, which is what I did.  Now their uninstaller instantly says "nothing to uninstall".  So, why they bothered writing an uninstaller I don't know.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 08:46:54 AM »
Okay, and still no luck with yr install of avast 2bad?

If the Norman uninstaller will run, regardless of what it says, then run it anyway if you can.

With avast 5, the uninstall utility for v.4.8 is bundled into the install process - you are prompted to uninstall and then Restart - after which you continue with the install of the new release. I think better this way.

However, you can uninstall v.5 independently using the avast 5 uninstall utility and you should do this.
Then continue with yr install.

I think now you should download yr install package again, making sure you get a good uninterrupted download - (or if confident with the download you already got, stick with that).

First, disconnect from the internet, and install yr avast while offline - you can always update later.

Turn off any firewall or any additional program that has potential to block - as that program may be carrying a record of yr previous configuration. And try install again.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

2bad

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 09:40:59 PM »
mkis --
I finally realized that Avast4 is the default selection for the removal tool.  Avast5 must be selected from the drop-down list.  The first couple of times I just saw "Avast" in that window and proceeded without looking carefully.  When I selected the correct app to be removed and then re-installed Avast5 everything worked as I intended.  Technically, my problem was operator error.  What the default should be there is a matter of opinion.  Thank you for your help.  

Advise to anyone else:  
*When migrating to Avast from a competing anti-virus program uninstall any such competing programs first. [This may even be necessary when upgrading from an earlier version of Avast.] If you install Avast on top of another anti-virus program and then uninstall that older program Avast may crash and require re-installation.  Re-installation first requires using the Avast removal tool in Safe Mode to purge remnants of the crashed installation.
*When using the Avast removal tool make sure you know which version of Avast you need to uninstall. Carefully select that version for removal from the drop-down list.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:18:00 PM by 2bad »