Author Topic: Flashgot.exe detected as Win32:Trojan-gen {Other} after today's virus definition  (Read 18481 times)

goodrichm

Nothing has changed on my system except my Avast! virus definitions which have been updated to today's definitions. Flashgot.exe is now being detected by avast! 4.8 as having Win32:Trojan-gen {Other}.  I've been online all day and Flashgot has been working all day up until today's new updated virus definitions.  Please advise...MG

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Upload flashgot.exe to virus total and post back your results
http://www.virustotal.com/
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Sammo

I got the same thing. Totally ruined my download ability. Is this a FP?

RDC

Same here. Here's the permalink to the virustotal analysis. Hope it's just a minor issue with the new database and not really a trojan otherwise i'll be really sad to give up Flashgot functionality.

Offline jsejtko

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
Hello Guys,

sorry about this false positive, please update your avast! as fix is actually out in new vps update.

RDC

Thanks for the quick reply! Great job!

goodrichm

Working great once again!  Thanks so much for the quick response!!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi folks,

That is how fast it goes, good job, jsejtko,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

abbiesomeone

Are we quite certain this is a false positive?

I found this article sort of alarming: http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog?weblogid=208187496

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Did you not look at the results link for the virustotal results (Reply #3), that pretty much confirms it is a false positive. Not to mention one of the avast Virus Labs team confirming it is a false positive, which has been corrected. So I would tend to take their word for it.

The key wording in the link you gave is:
A few days ago we started getting messages from users saying that their antivirus software had started detecting Trojans in the Flashget directory.

So 'in the Flashget directory' is what is relevant and somewhat different to the actual executable being infected and since VT has 41 scanners you get a pretty good idea when only two scanners detect it that it is highly likely to be an FP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Problems with FlashGet come and go... I don't trust in FlashGet anymore. A lot of antivirus had detected it as adware, avast among them. Maybe they have changed the policy. Maybe FlashGet did.
The best things in life are free.

Alan Baxter

Are we quite certain this is a false positive?

I found this article sort of alarming: http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog?weblogid=208187496

This article is about FlashGet, a completely different program from FlashGot.  FlashGot is a Mozilla extension, FlashGet is a download manager.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
This article is about FlashGet, a completely different program from FlashGot.  FlashGot is a Mozilla extension, FlashGet is a download manager.
My fault. Sorry. I've messed two products.
The best things in life are free.

Alan Baxter

No problem.