Author Topic: errors or warnings in the log avast  (Read 5452 times)

Bernez

errors or warnings in the log avast
« on: November 19, 2009, 06:22:28 PM »
Hello, how can we know what are the errors or warnings in the log avast
For example:
19/11/2009 07:09:35 SYSTEM 1012 AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of C: \ Documents and Settings \ User \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ la6omko1.default \ sessionstore.js failed, 0000A413.
Thank you for your help
Bernez

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: errors or warnings in the log avast
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 05:35:42 AM »
Please see HERE

Offline FallingRock

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 07:55:52 AM »
Eddy, or Tech, or pk, or To Whomever It May Concern:

Back in March '09, David R posted a request for updating the out-of-date list of error codes, to which list Eddy had referred the newbie Bernez who started thread "errors or warnings in the log avast" in November '09. 

This newbie also has been seeing the unexplained alerts (errors) that David R reported. Please enlighten us, O Cognoscenti.
Frequently, several times each day, my Avast is logging the message that this is excerpted from, beginning after the PID:
"Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x20000004, dwRes is 20000004."

We need to know, is this message an indication that we have a problem? or is this message a routine event, at the Info level of event logging.  If this represents a problem, please advise on the appropriate action.  It would help if you could inform us as to what it is, this "setiface," that is included in some other events logged.

Your consideration will be appreciated. 

Falling Rock
OS: Windows® XP Professional SP 3, 32b, regularly patched by Windows® Update except when the install fails
SYST: HP Pavilion a1040n
CPU: Intel P4 519J 3.065GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR 3200
HD: 158 GB free on system partition
AV: Avast! Home Edition - Free v4.8.1368, files updated typically 2x per day
AS: Windows Defender updated every two to six days since Oct. '08.
AS: Ad-Aware v8.0.0.0
FRWL: Comodo (free) v3.13.121240.574
BRWSRS: Firefox v3.5.6 preferred, also available - M$ IE 8.0
Firefox Extensions: NoScript 1.9.9.22; Java Quick Starter; AVG Toolbar and Safe Search; WOT; IE Tab; Forecastfox; Flagfox; DownloadHelper; Move Media Player; LinkedIn Companion; Screengrab.
Firefox Plugins: *-IE Tab Plug-in for Mozilla/Firefox; *npmnqmp 989898989877; *Default Plug-in; *NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy; *getplusplusadobe16241; *Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape; *NPCIG 1.0.0.3; *Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator; *Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32; *Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5; *Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers; *Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_15 for Mozilla browsers; *DRM Netscape Network Object; *Npdsplay dll; *DRM Store Netscape Plugin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 03:32:51 PM »
0x20000004 error is a "proxy down" error, i.e., server unreachable (or, in other words, "cannot connect to the updating server"). Is avast.setup allowed to connect into Comodo firewall? Have you had any previous anti-virus program installed on this computer before installing avast? The last way is check your hosts file to see if there are any entries that could be blocking avast's update servers. A blank "default" configuration of the windows hosts file should basically have only one entry (127.0.0.1 localhost).
The best things in life are free.

Offline FallingRock

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 01:26:49 AM »
   Thank you for this explanation. Avast is allowed by Comodo. Updating Avast on command from the main UI has not usually presented a problem. Based on your first sentence, I expect these 20000004 errors arise when the DSL modem is turned off, as it usually is after some point in the night, overnight until starting up in the morning. I expect that Avast is programmed to query the update server every few hours throughout the day and night, and that it sometimes finds the internet to fail to respond, and that this occurs while the DSL modem is offline.

Thus on the basis of your excellent reply, I suppose that "setiface" is an updater app within my client. Please, correct my assumption if this is not so, and please confirm if this is so.

I beg your pardon for my delay in expressing appreciation; this system has been up and down for the last two weeks with configuration changes, but is showing signs of straightening out now.  Thank you, again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »
Thus on the basis of your excellent reply, I suppose that "setiface" is an updater app within my client. Please, correct my assumption if this is not so, and please confirm if this is so.
Thanks for your kind words... but I'm not a programmer and I'm not that sure to give you an answer. Hope the Alwil team can.
The best things in life are free.