Author Topic: Grime Fighter won't stop!  (Read 6680 times)

Offline marber

Grime Fighter won't stop!
« on: April 12, 2014, 01:20:28 AM »
I purchased Grime Fighter a few days ago. 1st time it ran for about 17 hours, finding over 800 Karma. I had to close it out because I needed to get to ''my documents''. The 2nd time I ran it for about 20 hours, finding almost 600 Karma. I shut it down again because I can't believe it's supposed to run this long.

I have Avast Internet Security. My computer was working great until I clicked on the Avast update, which included the offer to buy Grime Fighter. Grime did the initial, free, scan and GF said I have 14 pieces of grime slowing my computer. After a day or 2, I buy GF. My computer is slower than ever. And it still says I have 14 pieces of grime.

Between the 2 runs of GF I tried repair and uninstall and re-install. Computer still slow. Can I somehow uninstall and get the Avast I had before? Or what does it take to get this so it's worth having?

Any advice or input appreciated, thanks!

marber

marc-d-l

Re: Grime Fighter won't stop!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:28:54 AM »
If you want you can turn it off.Go to ad or remove click on change,uncheck grime fighter.Or you can try repair.

Offline marber

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 03:46:35 AM »
marc,

thanks for your response, but as I mentioned, I've already tried the repair, and the uninstall, then reinstall.

Has anyone had good results with Grime Fighter?

marber

marc-d-l

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 05:37:51 AM »
I personally don't use it,I find I don't really need it.It's easy to turn off. Control panel/programs and features/uninstall change/click on change then uncheck grime fighter click OK.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:44:10 AM by marc-d-l »

Offline marber

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:22:52 PM »
Thanks, but I know how to turn it off. What I'm trying to do is get it to work. I've paid 19.99 for it.

Third try, it's been running for about 12 hours.

marber

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 06:20:21 PM »
Thanks, but I know how to turn it off. What I'm trying to do is get it to work. I've paid 19.99 for it.

Third try, it's been running for about 12 hours.

marber

Many posts about GrimeFighter.
I've read in different posts, that the process can take a "long" time, obviously depending on size of HD and Grime??

Offline marber

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:28:23 AM »
Latest update on my fun with GF. It's been running for 18 hours, but now there is no yellow bar, just all white. I don't know if this is progress or not.

Before the bar had been almost all yellow, except or a quarter inch of white at the end. I guess it'd be called a progress bar.

marber

Offline marber

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 02:16:41 AM »

Update -- after 41 hours the screen changed--no Karma in the upper left hand corner, the progress bar is now near the bottom, almost all yellow. Below that it says ''Your computer is now asleep, calling in our technical team.''

The computer has been asleep for 28 hours now. Total 69 to 70 hours of Grime Fighter fighting the grime.

I'm posting this from my spare computer/notebook. During the 1st 41 hours I could go Online, but couldn't access ''My Documents.'' With the computer asleep, I had to pull out my spare to go Online.

Offline marber

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:34 AM »
After 60 some hours I called the support number. They were in Costa Rica. They took over my computer and decided my computer had too much grime for Grime Fighter to handle. So I could pay 170 some bucks for them to clean it up or I could contact Avast for a refund. I didn't pay 170 bucks.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:19:12 PM by marber »

alexis semler

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 06:08:08 AM »
 I bought Grime Fighter as I am fairly pleased with Avast Internet Security and also fairly pleased with the tech support, to the point that I paid the $170.00 for a year for the 2nd year running. I know I have a 7 year old computer with Vista SP2, but I am doing all I can to speed it up and not have to buy a new one for another year, so for me Grime Fighter made sense But I have also found it not to work. It loads fine and after maybe only 20 minutes it says to reboot so I do and every time (I mean every time) after my computer comes back on it says I have no internet connection and for me to put my password in. Of course I do put the password in and every single time it tells me to either plug into an ethernet cable or get back into the internet, so the Grime fighters can complete the task. I know every time Avast does an upgrade I have the same issue of losing the internet connection but that usually is corrected when I go to programs and hit avast and do a repair. (I don't have the time right now to have tech support "try" to fix the problem as I know it will take a while.)
I honestly just want my money back $24.95 as I posted a ticket yesterday and haven't heard anything yet.
QCF-953-84346 It was charged to my Discover card and order number is 14699053242 Order Date: April 21, 2014
Please advise so this can be credited back asap. thanks

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 06:12:26 AM »
I bought Grime Fighter as I am fairly pleased with Avast Internet Security and also fairly pleased with the tech support, to the point that I paid the $170.00 for a year for the 2nd year running. I know I have a 7 year old computer with Vista SP2, but I am doing all I can to speed it up and not have to buy a new one for another year, so for me Grime Fighter made sense But I have also found it not to work. It loads fine and after maybe only 20 minutes it says to reboot so I do and every time (I mean every time) after my computer comes back on it says I have no internet connection and for me to put my password in. Of course I do put the password in and every single time it tells me to either plug into an ethernet cable or get back into the internet, so the Grime fighters can complete the task. I know every time Avast does an upgrade I have the same issue of losing the internet connection but that usually is corrected when I go to programs and hit avast and do a repair. (I don't have the time right now to have tech support "try" to fix the problem as I know it will take a while.)
I honestly just want my money back $24.95 as I posted a ticket yesterday and haven't heard anything yet.
QCF-953-84346 It was charged to my Discover card and order number is 14699053242 Order Date: April 21, 2014
Please advise so this can be credited back asap. thanks

You say you posted ticket yesterday, You have to give the process time. It can take a few days or more.
From what I've read there are others, so be patient. :)

Offline marber

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 02:48:37 AM »
Halleluiah! Grime Fighter finally finished. It took less than 2 hours. I think the computer is running slightly slower now.

It said it disabled Java across all browsers. I thought Java was supposed to be necessary for a lot of things. What should I do next time I'm promted to install or enable Java?

Thanks!

marber

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 03:39:22 AM »
Halleluiah! Grime Fighter finally finished. It took less than 2 hours. I think the computer is running slightly slower now.

It said it disabled Java across all browsers. I thought Java was supposed to be necessary for a lot of things. What should I do next time I'm promted to install or enable Java?

Thanks!

marber
Unless you run some programs that require Java or access some websites that need Java to function ( very few ) then it is possible that you don't even need Java and you could uninstall it.