Author Topic: How to disable Avast Pro 7  (Read 6065 times)

drfickas

How to disable Avast Pro 7
« on: August 30, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »
How do I temporarily disable Avast Pro 7, so that I can install other software?

Theo Peterbroers

Re: How to disable Avast Pro 7
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:27:39 PM »
Hi drfickas,

Why'd you want to do that? Avast generally does not prevent installation of other software; and if it does, the reason would be a malware detection.

As soon as you re-enable avast, it would protect you against the infection that you just installed on your pc. Basically this means: stops the program in its tracks; shoves it into the virus chest; bye-bye program.

Best regards,

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:34:53 PM »
How do I temporarily disable Avast Pro 7, so that I can install other software?
never had to do that .....what program is it you want to install ?

drfickas

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 11:46:52 PM »
Most software recommends that one disables any anti-virus software, prior to installation. I want to temporarily disable Avast Pro 7, so that it won't interfere with the istallation of Roxio Creator 2009.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:45 PM »

The istallation of Roxio Creator 2009 should not need the AV disabled. If it does, then you need a newer version of Roxio.

IMHO, any program or application that needs the AV (whichever one) disabled  is something not needed.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:52:29 PM by CharleyO »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:55:14 PM »
Most software recommends that one disables any anti-virus software, prior to installation. I want to temporarily disable Avast Pro 7, so that it won't interfere with the istallation of Roxio Creator 2009.
dont come back here complaining if you get infected    :-[
right click avast tray icon ...then you find a menu

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 10:07:37 AM »
if a program is say you must disable the antivirus program. i wouldn't install it. its most be something bad about the program then.

no trust wordy program is telling you to disable the antivirus protection.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:09:57 AM by mikaelrask »
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »
Just had to reply to this even if 120 days old.  :o When someone posts how to do something like temporarily disable their AVAST Antivirus program I doubt they need threat warning advice about why not to. One might think most would already understand the common sense risk doing so would entail. ;)

I'm not saying disabling your Antivirus program to install others is always the best thing to do and should be done with some consideration.  I find most programs will install with the antivirus on and I would always try to install them with it on first.  Then try doing so with it disabled, with the obviously risks to doing so taken under consdieration. But even if you do disable it and install a program, you can scan it after the install for viruses. After all, isn’t that what AVAST is also for?  Finding viruses that slip by us?  Why we run scans?
I noticed there was never any real clear answer or steps provided on how to disable AVAST. 

Antivirus programs often run in the back ground in some capacity and with those files open they can interfere with some program installations.  I found this also to be true when doing a system restore.  Open running antivirus programs can interfere with system restores.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 10:35:09 PM »
120 days old, try over two years old.

I think the point has already been made about the necessity/wisdom of disabling avast to install software.

System Restore - creating one, generally isn't an issue. However, restoring an old one requires disabling just the avast self-defence module, not the antivirus itself.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security