Author Topic: How can I run old 32-bit programs on Windows 7 64-bit?  (Read 10011 times)

Husk

How can I run old 32-bit programs on Windows 7 64-bit?
« on: January 15, 2011, 06:35:19 AM »
My mum has these old games that we used to play on Windows 95. Now we're trying to run these programs on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

But everytime we try to run the programs we get a

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher"

This happens in every compatibility mode. I am trying to find a 32-bit XP emulator, but microsoft is greedy and doesn't let home premium use it. And I can't seem to find a clear answer on what I can use anywhere else.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: How can I run old 32-bit programs on Windows 7 64-bit?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 01:27:40 PM »
My mum has these old games that we used to play on Windows 95. Now we're trying to run these programs on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

But everytime we try to run the programs we get a

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher"

This happens in every compatibility mode. I am trying to find a 32-bit XP emulator, but microsoft is greedy and doesn't let home premium use it. And I can't seem to find a clear answer on what I can use anywhere else.

Unfortunately some older software is not compatible with 64 bit systems. I ran into this a few weeks ago with an old game of mine (Star Trek Armada II) it works in Windows 7 32 bit but not 64 bit.

A good place to check is to look up your application at the Windows 7 Compatibility center on Microsoft's website.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »
32bit programs can be used just fine on 64bit Windows.
What you are trying to run is most likely a 16bit application, however - which could be run on Windows 9x, but not on 64bit OSes anymore, because the 16bit subsystem has been removed from there.

You'd need a virtual machine and install a 32bit OS inside (and execute that 16bit application there) - something like VMware or Virtual PC, the later actually being part of Windows 7 ("XP mode"), but not the Home edition, I'm afraid.

Husk

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »
Ah thank you very much Mac and igor. I might take a look at VMWare.