Author Topic: Avast and Internet Explorer  (Read 3480 times)

bdot

Avast and Internet Explorer
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:31:30 AM »
I have been using Avast for years. Lately, I have been having issues with Avast blocking IE from connecting to the internet. I normally use Opera and it doesn't have issues. Since I don't use IE often, I don't know when the whole issue began. I do know that just a few days ago Avast started screwing up my access to Steam also.
Another reason I don't know when this all began is because I rarely reboot.

Here's how it goes. After a reboot, IE can not access anything. It just sits there trying to connect to a site until it finally gives up. I had thought it was the firewall application I use but I could disable it and still not connect. It's not until I disable Avast that I can get IE to work. Here's the odd thing. Once IE connects to a website, I can re-enable Avast and IE doesn't have issues. I can put the pc in hibernate and access IE later fine. But if I ever reboot, Avast will once again block IE from accessing the internet.

I have tried uninstalling Avast and reinstalling it but no help.
I have Win 7 64-bit, IE 9, and the latest Avast update.

I was able to find a work around for using Steam but it took over an hour since after Avast decided to screw up my access, I couldn't get it to reset back up. I had to disable Avast and then delete Steam files to finally get it working again.

I've never had issues with Avast and recommend it to everyone looking for a virus scanner so I'm not someone just trying to bash the application. I'm more just trying to find out why it has decided to block IE from working. I know IE is bad to use but I didn't realize it was that bad. *laughs*

Any ideas or other people seeing the same thing?

jjsfb

Re: Avast and Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »
I have something similar. No access to internet through IE9 and no windows udate since I installed avast.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast and Internet Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »
I have something similar. No access to internet through IE9 and no windows udate since I installed avast.
Some information about your system and what other security programs are installed would be nice!