Author Topic: Avast! Service (AvastSvc.exe) Keeps Stopping..  (Read 5165 times)

lol90210

Avast! Service (AvastSvc.exe) Keeps Stopping..
« on: August 14, 2010, 03:41:13 AM »
Hello,  I  Keep getting A popup saying "Avast! service stopped working and was closed" and when its not doing that AvastSvc.exe uses HIGH CPU Like 50-80%!
and if it is working if I try to do any scan with Avast! the service stops working...

I am Using avast! internet Security (5.0.594)
Other Security Programs A have Is COMODO Firewall/ Defense + and MBAM (PRO)
OS Is Vista ULTIMATE (64Bit) with SP 2

Any one know what could be doing this? maybe A Malware Attack?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Avast! Service (AvastSvc.exe) Keeps Stopping..
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 03:49:30 AM »
Comodo is the likely culprit. AIS comes with a firewall; the comodo one is conflicting with it.
Only the Windows firewall can be left on when AIS is installed; any other firewall is likely to cause a problem.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

lol90210

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:54:17 AM »
The Avast! firewall Is off..I turned it off cos i like using Comodo :D

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:57:51 AM »
So it's still installed, but turned off?
Might have to wait for someone with AIS installed to post an answer. Personally, I think it's still likely to be a problem. In your situation, if you absolutely must use Comodo (I got rid of it some time ago, not without difficulty) I would've gone for Avast pro, not AIS.
(PS. I'm getting sick of the weather.)

lol90210

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 04:04:27 AM »
Yes, Its Still Installed Just Off As I May Uninstall  Comodo and use Avast! firewall...I Am only using Comodo for the Defense + thing lol

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 04:52:48 AM »
Well the D+ can be a powerful tool. It's a type of HIPS.
You could maybe try another HIPS program if you uninstall Comodo, but frankly, with MBAM pro active also, I don't think it's necessary. Two residents - it will possibly slow your system slightly, I don't know, but the combo reportedly works well, and what one misses (if anything) the other is likely to catch.

What I would recommend is to use Firefox with the Noscript add-on. Noscript basically makes Firefox a very secure browser. (Without it it's no better nor worse than any other). Noscript will stop drive-by downloads dead. They won't even get from an infected page to your browser.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »
It's a type of HIPS.
It's a very powerful HIPS.

You could maybe try another HIPS program if you uninstall Comodo, but frankly, with MBAM pro active also, I don't think it's necessary. Two residents - it will possibly slow your system slightly, I don't know, but the combo reportedly works well, and what one misses (if anything) the other is likely to catch.
D+ is not the same technology of MBAM and avast. Both are based on signatures and "default allow" policy.
D+ is based on "default deny" policy. Comodo is introducing a cloud based (on-access / on-demand) technology on CIS 5.
I think you can have MBAM only on-demand. But you've bought the pro version... so you'll like to use if for sure.
The best things in life are free.