Author Topic: What Is The Best Free Firewall Today?  (Read 89837 times)

Offline greyowl

Re: What Is The Best Free Firewall Today?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 02:28:33 AM »
rdmaloyjr,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have read other places that ZoneAlarm was easy to use, but on the tests of firewalls it didn't come out as good as others.   I am dubious about the accuracy of the tests because so many people on the forum use ZoneAlarm.  You obviously must find it effective.

Thanks again.
Dell Laptop, 1.6Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, XPsp3, Avast Free, Windows Firewall

timcan

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 02:40:34 AM »
I have been studying the tests on firewalls and it appears that Online Armor Free firewall is very good.
Has anyone had some direct experience with it.  They recently came out with a new version.

I have never used a firewall and i am wondering if it is needed.
I currently use AvastHome and SpywareTerminator with HIPS and run Win2000.
Does a firewall slow down the computer and surfing?

I will appreciate your thoughts on this.

Hi, my experience with online armor is that this program will slow browsing speeds somewhat. It is a very easy program to use though,the hips feature is fairly quite.Hope this helps, tim

Lusher

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
rdmaloyjr,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have read other places that ZoneAlarm was easy to use, but on the tests of firewalls it didn't come out as good as others. 

The free version has weak anti-leak abilities, but the paid versions are respectable.

I am dubious about the accuracy of the tests because so many people on the forum use ZoneAlarm.  You obviously must find it effective.

Not saying that ZA is bad, but Most people have no clue if something is effective or not. How could they? It's not like they would hire a hacker to try to crack their system... or they have the expertise to actually evaluate (and no, reading tests doesn't mean you have a clue either).

At best most people use security software that

1) Some guy they trust as a guru told them is not bad/ or they follow the crowd
2) When they install it, it doesn't crash their computer

The following the crowd tendency means that current "popular" security software is typically not too bad, but not nearly close to what you could do for protection if you actually did some research and testing...

Usually by the time some software becomes popular enough to filter into mainstream use, most of the "wired" people have moved away to something better...

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 11:16:42 AM by Lusher »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »
Lusher,

I've never had a problem with so-called fw leaks & I've used some of the best firewalls & HIPS that protect from "fw leaks."  Never read a post in this forum where someone was infected from a "fw leak", AFAIK.

If something got through a "fw leak", WinPatrol would probably warn of it or it's start up & my AS and/or AV would take care of it.  That is what they're for.  It would be very hard for anything to get thru Opera.  One forum (don't remember which one) had a discussion on Opera is effectively sandboxed.

I'm not paranoid. ;D  The only really safe computer is unplugged. ;D  If I have to keep mine unplugged, I'll get rid of it. ;D ;D ;D

don67

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 07:52:37 PM »
Greyowl,

I recommend ZoneAlarm for you since you have never used a firewall.  ZA is the easiest fw to use & gives great protection.  I've used many different fw's.  In my sig. you will see I'm using ZA.  It's good for the experienced & the novice. :)

Hi Sir you are using zone alarm firewall without any conflict to avast?  'cuz before i install zone alarm together with avast it's conflict what did you do?  hhhmmmnnnn....

can you please give me some instructions?

thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 08:05:09 PM »
If the question appears and you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off webshield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line or, if you want to keep this line, set it to 0. Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast comptability dialog box the transparent mode proxy in webshield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video. In this case, the value ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 should be at avast4.ini file.

More info:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960
The best things in life are free.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 08:17:43 PM »
I guess I'm lucky as I've never had a problem with the Privacy Control in ZA free nor ZA Pro.  Never disabled it.  ZA has always "played nice" with avast! for me. :) 

Besides there is no privacy control in ZA free. ???  No need for:
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line or, if you want to keep this line, set it to 0. Save the edited avast4.ini file.

Offline greyowl

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 01:48:22 AM »
This is a very informative discussion for us novices who have never used a firewall.

Since I'm using AvastHomeAV, I am wondering if there is an estimated time frame for Avast4.8final verison with the antispyware and antirootkit, and also when one might expect the Avast Firewall to be at the final version for the general public.

If it is not too long, i might just bide my time.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 02:58:57 AM »
Greyowl,

Don't wait for the avast! firewall!  A firewall is really a necessity, any fw is better than none.

Being as ZA free is easy to use & free there is no excuse not to try it.   If you don't want ZA free, there are several other free fw's to try. PC Tools fw, Kerio, Outpost free, etc. I'm not pushing any fw on you, it's your choice.

Offline greyowl

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 04:18:33 AM »
rdmaloyjr,

Thanks---i see your point and will not delay in getting something on my computer.

thanks again

CharleyO

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 04:19:48 AM »

Yes, by all means do not wait, greyowl, please get any free firewall now.

don67

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 08:43:38 AM »
thank for the instructions sir tech ;)

If the question appears and you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off webshield transparent mode proxy.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast comptability dialog box the transparent mode proxy in webshield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video. In this case, the value ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 should be at avast4.ini file.

More info:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960

Gene J

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 09:03:23 AM »
I do a lot of volunteer refurb work for "Alternatives for the Older Adult", a local not-for-profit that distributes used computers to folks who have never used a computer before. All are novices obviously.

My recommendations:

Win98 use Outpost Firewall Free 1.0 (Not many others will work)
WinXP (novice) use PC Tools Firewall Plus
WinXP (advanced) use Comodo Firewall Pro 2.4

We all seem to have our own favorites here and comfort level is a big factor in our choices.

don67

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »
i use the pc tools personal firewall before but the problem is my internet is really slow >:(

gdiloren

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 08:48:24 PM »
i use the pc tools personal firewall before but the problem is my internet is really slow >:(
I use PCTOOLS FIREWALL + on VISTA without any such problem. :)