Author Topic: How does Behavior Shield differ from Norton's "Sonar"?  (Read 6060 times)

dagrev

How does Behavior Shield differ from Norton's "Sonar"?
« on: October 22, 2010, 07:09:40 PM »
Just wondering how Behavior Shield differs from Norton's "Sonar"?

Thanks

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: How does Behavior Shield differ from Norton's "Sonar"?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 07:11:17 PM »
well one that ive noticed that differs is the avast behavior shield seems to be almost useless lol, in theory i dont know, but in practice that is the difference
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

ArminPasalic!

dagrev

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 11:50:34 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast!

Thanks but that didn't address any differences between the two.  Maybe I missed something.

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 12:04:52 AM »
No, theres no difference - The Avast! Behavior Shield is new, while Norton Sonar is very old(of course it gets updated) but Avast's Behavior Shield will improve in further versions.

dagrev

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:09:46 AM »
OK, thanks for the clarification.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 12:19:34 AM »

iRonzel

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 01:21:18 AM »
well one that ive noticed that differs is the avast behavior shield seems to be almost useless lol, in theory i dont know, but in practice that is the difference

False, avast! BS is focus in applications "Exploits" for now. Remember that avast! BS is new and need time to extend & improve it's protection to other areas.

Ondrej Vlcek: The Behavior Shield that we shipped in version 5.0 is a new component that is going to be further developed moving forward. For example, in version 5.1, we will be adding more sensors that will allow for even finer-grain filtering.

For now, the Behavior Shield is focused on exploits coming via typical mechanisms (browser, PDF reader, and flash vulnerabilities, for example). It also closely monitors all kernel-mode code (drivers) loaded into the operating system, and is able to detect zero-day rootkits.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 01:36:48 AM »

False, avast! BS is focus in applications "Exploits" for now. Remember that avast! BS is new and need time to extend & improve it's protection to other areas.

what do u mean "false"? ye i realize it hasnt be around long or developed much yet but my statement holds true, at the moment, its almost useless

iRonzel

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
its almost useless

You see BS useless because is not for "general" proactive protection for now (only for exloits prevention), but install avast! in already infected computer. With rootkits and infected drivers.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »
its almost useless

You see BS useless because is not for "general" proactive protection for now (only for exloits prevention), but install avast! in already infected computer. With rootkits and infected drivers.

i prefer to use an AV with a clean system and keep it clean personally...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 06:10:18 PM »
Behavior shield is working quite well for those with 32 bit, us 64's will only have to wait for the 5.1 release which shouldn't be to far away hopefully  :)

The Dude 321

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »
The behavior shield is the same in purpose in comparison to Norton SONAR.

At this point in time, the behavior shield is not exactly the strongest feature of avast.

However, I quite frankly think that behavior shields are all in developing stages.

Cheers

The Dude 321

dagrev

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »
That's kind of what I was thinking and wondering.  It seems such behavior shields will be the main component of AVs in the future because new threats appear so often.

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »
The behavior shield is the same in purpose in comparison to Norton SONAR.

At this point in time, the behavior shield is not exactly the strongest feature of avast.

However, I quite frankly think that behavior shields are all in developing stages.

Cheers

The Dude 321

As The Dude 321 writed, yes they are in developing stages - Meaning, Avast's Behavior Shield will have more sensors in the future - Nough' said.