Author Topic: Avast Not Scanning All Files Windows 7 and XP  (Read 4689 times)

Breeze99

Avast Not Scanning All Files Windows 7 and XP
« on: April 11, 2013, 11:36:40 PM »
The quick scan does fine but the Full System Scan won't scan all files on my son's computer (laptop windows 7) and sometimes won't on my desktop computer (windows xp). Can someone help me please.

Thanks,
Breeze

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Not Scanning All Files Windows 7 and XP
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:52:16 PM »
explain....more details

Breeze99

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
It just says some files couldn't be scanned and won't do a full scan. We have the regular/free Avast. My son's computer is windows 7 and it happens every time for the last few days. I have restarted the computer, cleared history/cache and it still does it. The quick scan completes the scan but the Full System Scan does not. My computer (xp) sometimes does the same thing.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »
It just says some files couldn't be scanned
files that can not be scanned for whatever reason given by avast is normal....
files that can not be scanned are just that, it does not mean they are infected

if you give example .....full file path, or attach a screenshot we may be able to tell you what they are

won't do a full scan.
The quick scan completes the scan but the Full System Scan does not. My computer (xp) sometimes does the same thing.
you mean it freeze during scan?

Breeze99

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »
I thought maybe something was wrong with the scan and maybe I needed to uninstall/reinstall

Breeze99

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 01:05:36 AM »
Screenshots attached. I'm not sure if these are the same files that cannot be scanned every time but they are the ones that came up this time.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 01:18:21 AM »
Well both of these are:
1. in Temp folders, so I would suggest that you periodically clean out your temp folders. Use a program like cleaner that clears Temp folders and lots of other detritus.

2. they both seem to relate to other AVs. The first possibly KAV (kaspersky anti virus) remover and the second possibly AVG virus update or something like that.
Do either of these ring any bells ?

So I would suggest the use of the free version of CCleaner, http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
As it is important to remove them and any remnants.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Breeze99

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »
Ugg I thought I uninstalled all previous antivirus's. We had AVG and Kaspersky (not at same time...or at least I thought). I used the uninstaller to get rid of them but apparently they did not work. Will use the Ccleaner and see what happens.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »
Uninstallers – Security Software  http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

and to remove any toolbar crap  run AdwCleaner...click delete   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:33:04 PM by Pondus »