Author Topic: last stable version of avast 5? Using 4.8  (Read 8282 times)

nord

Re: last stable version of avast 5? Using 4.8
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 02:28:30 AM »
What is an HDD? Doesn't anyone read anything? I don't know what an HDD is, for god's sake...is it the desktop?
And i don't have anyone more experienced to help me!!!

PLEASE. someone from avast help me! How can I contact one of the moderators that work for avast?

eastwick66,

Others who are moderators will jump in on this, but in the interest of trying to get you up and running, I'll give a try at helping you through the process of getting rid of Avast 4.8 and moving to Avast 5.1.

Below is the link to the Avast uninstall utility software. It is named awclear5.exe, but it will also uninstall Avast 4.8

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Download it to your desktop or anywhere else on your c:\ drive (hard drive or HDD).

Run it to uninstall Avast 4.8. When you are done, TurnOff your computer and reboot.

Go to this link for Avast 5.1, which is a good release of Avast that came out just before Avast 6.0.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/9090/

As the other poster said, FileHippo provides a safe download site and gives you the choice of which version of any particular piece of software you want to use. The above link is for Avast Free AntiVirus 5.1.889 IS NOT the newer Avast Free 6.0.1000.

Download it to your desktop or to your c:\ drive (hard drive or HDD) and click on it. It will run a setup program for 5.1. TurnOFF your computer, then Reboot your computer and you should be OK. Questions about the install process can be asked here.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:35:12 AM by nord »

eastwick66

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 05:11:19 PM »
Not a single person would answer my numbered questions and the condescending replies are impossible to understand. You absolutely refuse to clarify and this is so sad for a company to insult novice users who obviously could do this IF someone would just answer their questions. And this is a "help" forum?
I am not BRAIN DEAD and could easily do this if just one person would clarify. But no, just keep insulting me.

I have TWO options on this PC: to "log off" or "turn off computer"  which I assume is "boot" but no one will clarify it.
I asked five times if I could download avast and uninstall apps and save to the desktop and no one will answer.

I was warned by others that this forum treats novices like imbeciles and you all seem to actually enjoy being condescending.

My grand daughter offered to help, but she can't understand the instructions either and asked: "boot?, do they mean reboot after shutting down or logging off?" 

Thanks for all your help!

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
Hi eastwick66 :)

Just to clarify: Most of us helping here are Avast! users like yourself trying to help other Avast! users. A lot of us also help other Avast! users in their community, personally I help a lot of Seniors like you. It is definitely not our intention to insult anyone for whatever reason. My apologies if you felt that way.

To answer your questions :

- Yes, can download Avast! and the uninstall tool and safe them to your desktop, and execute them from there.

- Yes, you need to reboot. Meaning starting the pc again after shutting down.

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:45:54 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

TomN

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 06:56:23 PM »
I have TWO options on this PC: to "log off" or "turn off computer"  which I assume is "boot" but no one will clarify it.
If you choose "turn off computer" you should then see options to "Standby", "turn off" or "restart". You can choose turn off, which will power the unit down completely or restart which will do a soft re-boot without powering completely down. I think restart will work just fine.

I asked five times if I could download avast and uninstall apps and save to the desktop and no one will answer.
Yes, save them to the desktop so you can find them easier. Later when everything has been installed and is working fine you can delete the uninstall tool and or avast setup program to the recycle bin if you wish.

I was warned by others that this forum treats novices like imbeciles and you all seem to actually enjoy being condescending.
Slow down, some of us are actually trying to help.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:01:13 PM by TomN »

eastwick66

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 04:04:14 PM »
Thanks to the last EASY explanations, I was able to EASILY download version 5.1.889 with no problem.

If only the high tech members would stop telling people to "get help" from someone more "experienced" instead of just clarifying their instructions as asked, that would be so helpful to novices like me.

This is a great forum but the high tech people should stop being so demeaning to novice PC users. We're not stupid, just inexperienced.

Anyway, avast seems to be working fine. Thanks to the lesser experienced users who helped me.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 07:30:39 PM »
Anyway, avast seems to be working fine.
Hi eastwick66,

nice to hear, that's great!
Congratulations and have fun now! ;)

Regards
~SKY~
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |