Author Topic: Avast Windows 7 desktop gadget  (Read 13504 times)

bbrofman

Avast Windows 7 desktop gadget
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:30:22 PM »
Just writing to inform Avast that when my installation expires and it is time to decide whether or not I will continue use of this product (this is my 3rd or 4th year of use), before automatically re-installing, I will first consider other options as well (for the first time).

This is due to the insidious installation of the Avast Windows 7 desktop gadget that I did not request, but which apparently comes automatically packaged with the newest Avast installation.

It is annoying to no end and required 1/2 hr of my time wasted in order to find out how to remove it (no option other than Control Panel -> Change!), then restart my computer (!).

Very disappointed Avast would sneak this annoyance into its installation.

bbrofman

Re: Avast Windows 7 desktop gadget
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:08:13 PM »
Update:

Using the Control Panel -> Change Installation (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) option, I removed the desktop gadget option from installation. On restart, it was not uninstalled or removed! More time wasted and my opinion of Avast falls further.

As I said before, this is an unrequested annoyance.

If I am unable to easily remove the desktop gadget, I will uninstall Avast, and next time, I will definitely reconsider whether or not I want to go with a company that attaches annoyances such as this to their installations.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »
To remove the gadget, right click the desktop, click gadgets. Then right click the avast gadget, and select uninstall.

Just checked, but it seems that uninstalling by the method that you have described (i.e. Control panel - change), seems to remove the gadget from the avast folder, not actually uninstalling the gadget.

bbrofman

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
To remove the gadget, right click the desktop, click gadgets. Then right click the avast gadget, and select uninstall.

Just checked, but it seems that uninstalling by the method that you have described (i.e. Control panel - change), seems to remove the gadget from the avast folder, not actually uninstalling the gadget.

I tried this method first. However, in my version of Windows (Win 7 Pro 64-bit), Avast does not appear in the list of gadgets, so unable to uninstall by this method. This is one reason for it being an annoyance. Other reasons: The gadget was not properly announced or explained on installation. No 'Options' list comes with the gadget (e.g. when right-clicked). I had to do an internet search to find out how to uninstall it. - These are all hallmarks of spyware, malware, and/or trojans, not respected antivirus companies.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »
These are all hallmarks of spyware, malware, and/or trojans, not respected antivirus companies.
Or an error somewhere in the program.

I have win 7 64, and tested the method I posted before posting, and it was gone, so there may well be something wrong with the installation.

Also, I believe that the persistance of the gadget was an issue with a previous version - i.e. a bug, so what version of avast are you using?

Dieselman

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »
I guess you never tried other products. AVG,Kaspersky and Norton all install a gadget. Gadgets are what makes Wibdows 7 so unique. All you do is close it out and it will never appear again unless you want it to. Other programs like TuneUp Utilities also install gadget. So don't complain about Avast cause everyone is doing it.

bbrofman

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »
I guess you never tried other products. AVG,Kaspersky and Norton all install a gadget. Gadgets are what makes Wibdows 7 so unique. All you do is close it out and it will never appear again unless you want it to. Other programs like TuneUp Utilities also install gadget. So don't complain about Avast cause everyone is doing it.

I tried closing the gadget numerous times, and attempted to find how (through Avast Settings) to keep it from activating with each computer restart. There's no setting for this gadget; it does not uninstall by right-clicking desktop; and it required an internet search to find out how to turn it off.

bbrofman

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »
Last post. I submitted the issue to Avast Tech, and the following is the reply I received. Apparently, this will require a "fix":

Hello,

It will be fixed in the next version of avast! program.

Miroslav Jenšík
AVAST Software a.s.

You can also get phone support from our partner iYogi phone number :
USA and Canada free customers: +1 877-877-9362
USA and Canada paid customers: +1 877-314-5079
United Kingdom: Free & Paid: +44 808 101 9216
Australia: Free & Paid: +61 1800 839 407 (note, this number cannot be dialed from outside Australia, except with Skype etc).

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: ZXJ-457979
Department: [ENG] Technical support
Priority: Default

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »
Avast release 6.0.1091 fixed this issue.  Can you confirm that you have update successfully to this version.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76488.msg633066#msg633066
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner