Author Topic: Tip About Avast Software Updater! (The Refresh Button is Your Friend.)  (Read 1847 times)

Jack 1000

Hey Guys,

Just a heads-up.  Make sure you hit "Refresh" in software updater when done doing your updates,  At least in Avast Free, it does not recognize the new software version unless you hit refresh.  I also have a question:

I love the software updater, it is a great help.  The thing is, it told me that Adobe Flash was out-of date.  I use Firefox all the time on Windows XP and would go to the Ad-On's Manager in Firefox and run the plug in check.  However, it said that Adobe Flash was up-to-date.  I went to Adobe's website, and for some reason they have changed things making downloads harder to find.  Now it asks, do you want to install Adobe Flash for IE or for other browsers.  I picked IE.  Install went fine.

Than, not knowing about the need to hit refresh in Avast software updater, it still said Adobe Flash was out of date.  I went and installed Flash Player 11 using Firefox.  Than, I went back and hit refresh in software updater.  Add-Remove programs lists Flash Player 11 and the Active X Plug in for Flash Player 11 in Windows XP's Control Panel.

My questions are, could I have just installed Flash Player that first time for IE and it would have "picked up" and carried over the same update for Firefox?  Flash Player AFAIK has always been a cross-referenced platform.  My guess is had I hit the Refresh button in Software Updater the fist time after selecting Install for IE, that second install for Firefox would not have been necessary.  Why is Adobe asking for what browser do you want to install for, if Flash Player is a cross-reference platform?  I am familiar with other Adobe Products, such as Shockwave, and Adobe Reader.  I don't recall ever having to "double-dip" installs. (i.e do installs for each browser on the system )for their products.

Jack

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Tip About Avast Software Updater! (The Refresh Button is Your Friend.)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:15:02 AM »
They are separate installs.  Adobe Flash is ActiveX for MSIE and other Explorer based browsers, while Firefox and most other browsers have the plugin install of Adobe Flash.  Google Chrome has it's own version of Adobe Flash which is updated from within the browser.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner