Author Topic: Hide Avast text messages on KitKat (rooted)?  (Read 9051 times)

Rubberducky

Hide Avast text messages on KitKat (rooted)?
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
Hi,

First of all, thanks for creating the best anti-theft application for android!
Since updating tot Android 4.4 KitKat (Cyanogenmod 11), the default messaging application shows text messages sent and received by avast too.
This seems to be a new feature in KitKat.

Is it possible to get the old behaviour back without using binary sms on a rooted phone?
As user 'Holla' noted, an app that has 'OP_WRITE_SMS' permission should be able to do this.

On rooted phones running KitKat it is possible to manually give this permission to an app. (On non-rooted phones, this no longer seems possible)

Would it be possible to have Avast Anti Theft detect whether the user has granted it 'OP_WRITE_SMS' permissions and this way be able to send and receive hidden text messages?

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Hide Avast text messages on KitKat (rooted)?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 03:19:56 PM »
Hello,

on KitKat you need to use a Mobile Security installation to send and receive hidden command sms.
Just open Mobile Security -> Anti-Theft -> SMS Remote Control (although it's in the anti-theft menu, it's part of the Mobile Security app)

In order to use this tool, you need to activate android 4.4 support (Anti-Theft -> Friends -> Enable support for Android 4.4)

Rubberducky

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »
Hello,

on KitKat you need to use a Mobile Security installation to send and receive hidden command sms.
Just open Mobile Security -> Anti-Theft -> SMS Remote Control (although it's in the anti-theft menu, it's part of the Mobile Security app)

In order to use this tool, you need to activate android 4.4 support (Anti-Theft -> Friends -> Enable support for Android 4.4)

I know this. But what if the 'friend'-contact doesn't have an Android phone?
It would seem much better for rooted users if Avast Anti theft could just check if it has correct permissions, and support hidden sms on KitKat without binary sms.
Non-rooted users can still use binary sms then.

Or is there a reason why this can't/will be done?

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »
Hello!
to be honest - this goes beyond my knowledge. But I'll contact a developer for details on this.

do you still have a link to the thread where "Holla" posted this? The context could reveal valuable information.

Is it possible to get the old behaviour back without using binary sms on a rooted phone?
As user 'Holla' noted, an app that has 'OP_WRITE_SMS' permission should be able to do this.

On rooted phones running KitKat it is possible to manually give this permission to an app. (On non-rooted phones, this no longer seems possible)

Would it be possible to have Avast Anti Theft detect whether the user has granted it 'OP_WRITE_SMS' permissions and this way be able to send and receive hidden text messages?

Rubberducky

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »
Hello!
to be honest - this goes beyond my knowledge. But I'll contact a developer for details on this.

do you still have a link to the thread where "Holla" posted this? The context could reveal valuable information.

Thank you very much.
This is the message I was talking about: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=1147td6iq1mbbc70d6378tmru3&topic=139256.msg1035372#msg1035372,
it links to this article: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12/06/non-default-sms-apps-in-kitkat-can-still-write-to-the-sms-database-using-a-switch-in-app-ops-no-root-required/ which seems interesting.

Happy New Year!

Rototti

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:27:09 PM »
I would also prefer the "OP_WRITE_SMS" solution, but if it's not possible it would be better to implement this binary sms feature in the Anti-Theft itself rather than in Avast Mobile Security. The reasons:

1. Lots of people don't need the other services of Mobile Security. Why are they forced to install a complete security solution just for this sms function?
2. The main purpose of the root installation is the hard-reset protection. But this protection is only for the Anti Theft, right? So if a hard reset occurs the phone won't be able to receive hidden sms anymore because the Mobile Security got wiped.  :-\

Nitsuga

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 04:34:12 AM »
Please, fix this. I don't have another Android device to send hidden SMS with, and nobody I know wants to install the whole Mobile Security suite.

Or, at the very least, *let us set a distinct PIN* for SMSs, different from the app PIN.

(sorry for cross-posting, but I think it's important this reaches someone)

Offline A. User

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:30:58 PM »
Mr. Werner, sorry for posting in such an old thread, but this thread doesn't has an answer yet. If you're still watching this forum, please reply. And if other forumers can help with some info, they are most welcomed to do this. Thanks! ;)