Author Topic: Using Anti-Theft with no friend  (Read 2143 times)

hmonk

Using Anti-Theft with no friend
« on: February 17, 2014, 12:46:37 AM »
Just obtained my first smart phone and are now sifting through thousands of apps; first up: security. I installed Avast Mobile Security and then attempted to install Anti-theft but was stalled at the enter friend box.

My issue is that I live in a remote area and have no family, and none of my aged friends can spell SMS let alone know what it means. Therefore, what I would like to do, if possible, is to avail myself of the anti-theft features without the SMS notification to a friend. If it possible to work around the fill-in-a-friend box - how?

Thanks,

Monk

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Using Anti-Theft with no friend
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
Hello,

you can't turn off the SMS to the "friend".
but - you can just enter a non existing phone number and remote control anti-theft using my.avast.com
the SMS will still be sent but you don't need a recipient.

one of the most importaint features of Anti-Theft is, that you'll be notified of unauthorised SIM card changes and receive the new number.
if you choose to enter a non existing phone number as friend, you'll have two options:
- use portal SMS (an option you find in Anti-Theft -> avast! Account). If you select this option, a sms will be sent to our server and you can see the new phone number on my.avast.com (in case of a sim card change). Be aware that the server is in Europe, Prague, these will be international SMS and might cost some money.
- if you don't select the portal SMS option, you still can remote control your anti-theft installation using my.avast.com, but you won't get the new phone number in case of a sim change.

hope this helps,

Werner

hmonk

Re: Using Anti-Theft with no friend
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:11 AM »
Thanks Werner,

Two questions:

"- use portal SMS (an option you find in Anti-Theft -> avast! Account). If you select this option, a sms will be sent to our server and you can see the new phone number on my.avast.com (in case of a sim card change). Be aware that the server is in Europe, Prague, these will be international SMS and might cost some money."

Does this mean the SMS would be sent from my phone?

"- if you don't select the portal SMS option, you still can remote control your anti-theft installation using my.avast.com, but you won't get the new phone number in case of a sim change."

I'm not understanding about getting a new phone number

Thanks for your help,

Monk